I had an unusual experience today

EPresley

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:27 pm
Quote:
The one thing I didn't expect to happen was to find the baby raccoons still in the box this morning, but that's what happened. They were scratching the sides of the box, trying to get out, obviously abandoned by the mother. I took them to town and dropped them off at the vet's office. I set them on the desk and told the assistant, "I'm not sure what you do with these things, but here you go."

Man! And they said I was crazy.

I hope you at least got some good medications from the vet, jack.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:29 pm
This is a tough topic. I have lived in the woods and made friends -- and sometimes fierce enemies -- with all manner of critters. It always touches you in a special way when the inadvertantly injured party is a helpless youngster. (I mean, it always touches you unless you're OmSig or cjhsa or similar ilk.)

Now I live in the city. Aside from birds, the only other wild critters I see on a regular basis are rats. Alley rats, big ones. The other night (Sunday) I accidentally stepped on one while striding along the sidewalk at my regular 30-inch step pace, 120 steps per minute. Broke its back, I think. It was squaling and rolling around amid the garbage. Bummer. I left it to the tender mercies of whatever other hungry predators might be about. Might've made a good meal for a crow or seagull.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:32 pm
Well, since we're sharing stories...once I accidentally stepped on a giant slug with my bare feet. It smushed all over my foot. Poor slug.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:35 pm
Andrew, Darling, cows only eat grass.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:36 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Andrew, Darling, cows only eat grass.

Yer right, CJ. Crows, however . . .
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:37 pm
Sometimes, Merry, you have to speak very slowly to jane, but she will come around eventually.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:39 pm
I could have sworn that read "cow" Embarrassed
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:41 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

It's ok, Jane.... it's ok.
0 Replies

EPresley

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:44 pm
If you hold them critters up to the computer, I'll sing to em, man.

I'll sing to em about a hound dog that couldn't catch no bunny rabbits.

That was one a my biggest hits, jack.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:46 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:

It's ok, Jane.... it's ok.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/4205/auaza8.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:57 pm
Banana slugs, near pets in my area of last residence.

http://meanderthal.typepad.com/dope/images/banana_slug.jpg

and....

geezlouise, how disappointing. Someone has tuned up the website of Sjaak's fine chocolates and eliminated the Banana Slug. How very stupid. We all understood them as a company with fine belgian chocolate and a sense of humor. Oh, well.

So it goes.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 08:01 pm
I'm not sure if that is the same kind of slug that I stepped on. It was a big gooey mess by the time I saw it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:15 pm
http://meanderthal.typepad.com/dope/images/banana_slug.jpg

there y'go.

Before upgrading apparently recently, Sjaak's made a fine chocolate slug thingy with delicate chocolate, and white chocolate. Oh, never mind. I gave them as christmas presents one year I lived there.. to Southern Californians.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 09:44 pm
oh, and banana slugs were mascots at UC Santa Cruz, if I remember right, and featured in the odd crime procedural.

I've only seen one, once, at our back door of the gallery in north north. We named him, as I remember. Something like 'sluggo'....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 05:33 am
Last weekend we were driving on the freeway and this crow was eating a dead coon on the side of the road. Stupid crow flew right in front of us and WHAM! Big ol' dent in the hood. Now, if only that coon had been dispatched properly...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 07:51:23