I had an unusual experience today

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:27 pm
There is a tree on my property that needed to be cut down because of recent wind damage which had snapped off the top of the tree and left what was essentially a 20 foot trunk, shredded at the top where the breakage had occurred and with a few branches remaining on the side here and there.

I had already cut up the top part of the tree and removed that yesterday and this morning I decided to finish the job.

I fired up my chain saw and cut a circle around the girth of the tree about six inches deep all the way around, just enough to weaken it enough for my Bobcat to finish the job.

I started the Bobcat, raised the bucket, and pushed above the cut and the tree top fell to the ground.

That 's when things started getting freaky. As the tree fell down and left the standing trunk I found myself staring at four baby raccoons. I didn't realize the tree was hollow from the top down to about where I made my circular cut. So now there was a stump there with a basin at the top and four baby raccoons nestled inside.

I walked up and looked at the babies and noticed one had scratches on its back legs where the teeth of the saw must have just grazing him. Then I noticed another one trying to stand up and I realized I had sheared off both of his back legs. I felt sick.

I walked over the main part of the tree and peered inside and, sure enough, there was the mother, about halfway down, peering back at me. I fired up the saw and held it to the opening and flushed her out the other side. She raced to the edge of the clearing and ran up a tree where I presume she watched me carefully, to see what was going to happen to her babies.

I put them in a box and carried them to the edge of the clearing and set them there. (With the exception of the wounded one, which I put out of his misery)

Then, I shut the operation down. I am going to check the box tomorrow, to see if the mother managed to retrieve the babies and take them to another location. I suppose there is a danger of a fox or other predator passing along and stumbling across an easy snack, but that a chance I had to take. What else was I to do?

I'm sure patiodog is going to lecture me for this and demand to know why I had to kill the one with the amputated legs. He will insist that prosthetic limbs could have come into play. Whatever. Sorry, pdog, but I did what I thought was right.

It was a hell of an experience.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,766 • Replies: 74
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:32 pm
You came across as the mean kid from Toy Story, in this one, gus. I will never ever see you in the same light again. You have made me ashamed that I once called you a friend. From now on, OmsigDavid is my only true friend left on a2k. C U AR 0 ND.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:35 pm
I guess I am a cold, heartless bastard.

May god have mercy on my soul.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:55 pm
Where did we go wrong, edgar? I once boasted of my friendship with Gus. Now I too will be shunned by everyone (except OmSig).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 07:58 pm
I was hesitant about telling this story on A2K, fearing that it may tarnish my reputation. I should have followed my original instinct which had me eating the baby raccoons, biting their heads off and chewing contentedly while watching the sun settle lazily over the swamp.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:01 pm
god damn. Shocked
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:08 pm
How did you cook the one you killed?

Joe(garlic salt and a little lemon pepper?)Nation
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:35 pm
Gus, I wish I knew when you are joking and when you're not.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:40 pm
I think he's telling the truth.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:52 pm
kickycan wrote:
I think he's telling the truth.

Me too.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 08:56 pm
I think so too, but am not sure about the ....

bobkat,
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 09:01 pm
Hmmmmm
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 09:21 pm
Gus, I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I was busy impersonating Elvis.

It's all in a day's work for me.

But I hope the baby racoons are alright. Poor little guys!

Btw, Elvis' mom, Gladys Presley, had dark circles under her eyes and people used to say she sort of looked like a racoon.

You know something? I know waaaaay too much Elvis trivia.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 09:51 pm
Anyway, I'm hoping the wee raccoons and mom get together and work out a new home..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 11:35 pm
I believe gus has an unusual experience every day.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 01:44 am
Re: I had an unusual experience today
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
There is a tree on my property that needed to be cut down because of recent wind damage which had snapped off the top of the tree and left what was essentially a 20 foot trunk, shredded at the top where the breakage had occurred and with a few branches remaining on the side here and there.

I had already cut up the top part of the tree and removed that yesterday and this morning I decided to finish the job.

I fired up my chain saw and cut a circle around the girth of the tree about six inches deep all the way around, just enough to weaken it enough for my Bobcat to finish the job.

I started the Bobcat, raised the bucket, and pushed above the cut and the tree top fell to the ground.

That 's when things started getting freaky. As the tree fell down and left the standing trunk I found myself staring at four baby raccoons. I didn't realize the tree was hollow from the top down to about where I made my circular cut. So now there was a stump there with a basin at the top and four baby raccoons nestled inside.

I walked up and looked at the babies and noticed one had scratches on its back legs where the teeth of the saw must have just grazing him. Then I noticed another one trying to stand up and I realized I had sheared off both of his back legs. I felt sick.

I walked over the main part of the tree and peered inside and, sure enough, there was the mother, about halfway down, peering back at me. I fired up the saw and held it to the opening and flushed her out the other side. She raced to the edge of the clearing and ran up a tree where I presume she watched me carefully, to see what was going to happen to her babies.

I put them in a box and carried them to the edge of the clearing and set them there. (With the exception of the wounded one, which I put out of his misery)

Then, I shut the operation down. I am going to check the box tomorrow, to see if the mother managed to retrieve the babies and take them to another location. I suppose there is a danger of a fox or other predator passing along and stumbling across an easy snack, but that a chance I had to take. What else was I to do?

I'm sure patiodog is going to lecture me for this and demand to know why I had to kill the one with the amputated legs. He will insist that prosthetic limbs could have come into play. Whatever. Sorry, pdog, but I did what I thought was right.

It was a hell of an experience.

Gus, I'm taking your story as true.
(Hell, there aren't exactly too many laughs in it! Why would you post something like this for laughs? Confused )

I felt much the same when I chopped down an inconvenient (developing) tree at my previous home. But (little did I know) it was home to a whole bunch of birds & I'd caused them great distress by removing the tree. They flew around & around & looked & looked for their home ... in complete bewilderment.

Me, I wished I'd been a damn sight more careful about what I planted & where in the first place ...
This could have been avoided with a bit of forethought. Sad

But how are your raccoons?
Have you thought of contacting your local animal welfare organization/s for assistance?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 03:58 am
I once cut down a tree that had a glider in it. A squirrel glider is about the size of a cat. The silly beggar appeared in a fork after I was committed. He rode that big red stringy to the ground and bounded a dozen yards across the bush and shot up the next tree I had to cut. Why he chose that one I just don't understand.

Anyhow I left it and came back to it the next day. He seemed to have vacated the area by then.

Gus if you whack a tree with the back of an axe you can hear the hollow ring Kind of sounds like the noise Kickys head makes banging against the bar top when the barman calls time.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:22 am
We must be mindful that life by a swamp is not as idyllic as it sounds. Mother Nature can be cruel. Mother Ratzenhofer can be cruel.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:29 am
gus can be a mother?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:37 am
I'm taking it as true, too.

Hope those babies reunite with their mom. Keep us updated.

(And now I'm feeling a bit queasy about what might have been living in the tall cottonwood stump we had taken down by professionals -- it wasn't hollow at least, I don't think.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I had an unusual experience today
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 08:14:14