How to make a hip-hop music video 101

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:39 am
I'm blown away at all the creativity that goes into hip-hop videos, it's great. While at the gym last week, there were a few that came on in a row on the tv's. Even though they're pretty complex, I think I've got it down.

So you've sold a few thousand copies of your singles, and feel it's time to throw a video up on VH-1 and/or BET? Here's a gameplan for putting together a bangin' video.

1) Rent a Hummer with 22+ inch chrome rims, an exotic sports car, and a Ducati motorcycle. Even though you can't quite afford even the lease payment on any of the above(except maybe the bike, but your mom won't co-sign on your terrible credit), you have to let the world know you've made it by the vehicles you stand in front of in your video.

Don't actually DRIVE any of these vehicles(rental agreement doesn't allow you to drive with suspended license), so sit in them while the production crew moves fake background to simulate you driving.

2) Rent some semi-hot female dancers & actresses. Because you have a Hummer, women in bikinis will crowd around you on the street, and wiggle their asses to your sweet hip hop beat, that was composed using a Casio keyboard and an obscure rythym and/or vocal track found on a single from the 40's. With your sh!tty rapping over it.

3) In song, make mention of drinking whatever liquor that Pdiddy mentioned in his last single. Because you want to be cool too.

4) Rent some "ice," or "bling." Diamond plated chains & watches are expensive, and you may not have a dime to your name, but now even these can be rented, too.

5) Don't dance. Just throw up fake gang signs to camera, to show how "hard-core" you are. If you want to be REALLY hard-core, borrow a pit-bull for the video.

You're done, and off to a soaring music career. Drive home in your mom's Civic with chrome plated hubcaps, and wait for the checks to pour in.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 867 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 09:21 am
you forgot a cool name like Dr. Ass Rape or something.... even though DJ Food Court would be more descriptive....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:33 am
Reminds me of watching that Girls Next Door show.

They were shooting a centerfold in a bar, 'cause the girl's, like, a DJ.

T asks, "How hard is it? Have her bend over a table and stick her butt out."

Wanna guess what the centerfold was?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 10:37 am
Metal by the Numbers
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 11:01 am
You should download the song "Iz it Me?" by Tame One.

The lyrics aren't on the web, and I can't listen to it now at work, but he RIPS the lack of creativity that goes into hip-hop videos.

A favorite excerpt off the top of my head:

I don't care if you get your kicks
Homey but don't act like you be knowin' them chicks
Wavin' your arms and ****
Renting jewelry like you rich
Screwin up your face like your thong is ripped

Definitely worth the 99 cents.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 11:07 am
Re: How to make a hip-hop music video 101
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
2) Rent some semi-hot female dancers & actresses.

If you can't afford that, drag queens work equally well, seeing as they only film their jiggling asses.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 11:21 am
Gargamel wrote:

The lyrics aren't on the web, and I can't listen to it now at work, but he RIPS the lack of creativity that goes into hip-hop videos.

Nas rips into that whole thing too on his new cd, and Jay-Z has done it as well(even though half of Jay's lyrics are about how much $$ he's made).
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 11:44 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Gargamel wrote:

Nas rips into that whole thing too on his new cd, and Jay-Z has done it as well(even though half of Jay's lyrics are about how much $$ he's made).

How is the new Nas?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 11:49 am
Pretty good...not unreal, but I like it.
0 Replies