Revealed through Our Words

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:12 am
I can gauge your mood too, Phoenix. ;-)

I say pretty much what's on my mind, it's mostly about revealing personal information about others, who might not want that info revealed. I definitely have composed things, realized that it'd cause a problem if X read it, and then taken a deep breath and pressed submit anyway because it's something I would say to that person's face.

Roberta, my mom found me on Abuzz and talked to me about it (in fact, you and Moondoggy and others being so wonderful to me when E.G. had appendicitis was one thing she mentioned), but she didn't start an account there. Officially, she was only there that once and then stopped, but I'm not sure I believe it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:28 am
Wasn't there someone else who had their mom posting?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 06:37 am
Rae?

Dorothy Parker?

ehBeth? (dad)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 07:58 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
[...] As a kid, I rarely got involved in pen pal relationships. I found them very superficial. On A2K, I find that we can talk about things that I would probably not discuss with most of the people in my immediate community.

I would agree on the superficial part, but, if you think about it, that can occur anywhere, including here.

I will say that I discuss things here that I would probably do nowhere else.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:01 am
there's the obvious ehBeth/hamburger combo Very Happy
and Rae and Misti
and Bumblebeeboogie and Buttrflynet

any other crazies?

~~~~~

hamburger tried Abuzz, but it didn't fit or something. A2K's a whole other story.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 08:02 am
FreeDuck wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

It's like pen pals but better.

I read: "pen pals in butter".

A2K. Better than butter.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 09:21 am
FreeDuck wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

That's how all my pen pals ended up. I mention this just in case you noticed my overweight when we met, and wondered where it might have come from. Terrible on your cholesterol, these pen-pals. But do I enjoy having them for lunch.

Roberta wrote:
Speaking of anonymity, did you say things before people knew who you were that you wouldn't say now?

Nope. My inhibitions vis-a-vis my online correspondents are about the same as in the beginning. I just notice that I get unusually annoyed when my mother looks over my sholder when I'm posting. She's new to personal computers, doesn't use hers much, but is curious what my sisters and I do with it when we visit. We generally encourage that -- but not in this case.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 09:34 am
Thomas wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

That's how all my pen pals ended up. I mention this just in case you noticed my overweight when we met, and wondered where it might have come from. Terrible on your cholesterol, these pen-pals. But do I enjoy having them for lunch.

Please don't eat me, Thomas.

I don't think I'm one to say anything to anyone else about their weight. And if it's not enough to prevent you from walking to Octane, then what do I care? Quite good company, you are. When you're not eating your pen pals, that is.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 04:55 pm
Reyn wrote:

I will say that I discuss things here that I would probably do nowhere else.

Interesting, Reyn. You attribute this to the anonymity here? Are you referring to personal stuff? Or to topics that might not come up in general conversation?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 03:58 pm
I'm far from an expert on on line forums, but it seems to me that the "mature" hard-core membership of A2K enforces a certain amount of courteous open-mindedness.

Politics is an exception, of course.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 04:26 pm
Ah, Rae and Misti are who I was trying to think of. Haven't seen them around lately.

BBB and Butterflynet? How come I never knew that??
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 04:29 pm
The thing is, I'm an entirely different persona on a2k than irl. my entire wardrobe carries the label Dockers, I drive a Buick LeSabre and live in a condo near Vail Colorado. I am, let's face it, obsessed with style.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 05:46 pm
Here I am hoping no one heard me snort while reading Dys' post. Yeah, yeah, yeah, sweetheart, we all know how true that is.

One of the most reassuring and delightful things I have found out about a2kers is the honesty of their posts. Most the people I've met in person are similar to the persona they present on a2k, but even better--like Dys. Embarrassed

I've also found that, for the most part, those honest posters are ready and willing to go to get togethers of a2k'ers. I have formed life-long friendships with several a2k'ers from postings and then from person to person meetings. Those friendships are what I value most about a2k. Even though I go through periods when I don't post, I always know my friends are there on a2k or just a phone call away.

Another thing--there is no other way to meet so many compatible people in regular, everyday life. If not for a2k, those people would remain unknown.

We are very lucky that Craven followed through on his idea and spent so many frustrating hours doing a unique and anonymous service for so many strangers.

Here's to Craven, for service above and beyond what anyone expected.

Cheers!!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 05:46 pm
And Boidy, you're the tops!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 05:56 pm
I've always been partial to having penpals. After I came home from Japan, in the 1970s, I corresponded with a woman in Tokyo, who worked at the New Zealand embassy. She had lots of trouble with spoken English, but could read it and write it almost as well as any American I knew. I fancied we might have a future, for a time, but the vast distance eventually cooled the notion. She sent me a history of Japan, the novel, Silence, and one other book I no longer have or recall. I sent her souveneers from Texas and Mexico, and a variety assortment of jams and jellies. I believe the latter was her favorite, from the reaction I got. It was a good part of my life.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 09:18 pm
Noddy, Forgive me. I don't get the connection. However, I gotta agree with your poliltics comments. I steer clear.

Squinney, I just found out about littlek and hamburger. Live and loin.

Dys, Dockers? I could have sworn I saw an Armani label inside the lapel of your impeccably tailored jacket.

Hey, Diane, You're right (that's two in a row, but who's counting). I thank Craven too. And you ain't bad yourself.

edgar, Had you known the woman before your left Japan. It sounds like a meaningful correpondence.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 09:14 am
Roberta--

Sorry to be obscure. I didn't have time for a long post, and I obviously had too much time for a short one.

Like many of us, I joined A2K as a refugee from Abuzz. When I found Abuzz I'd spent a number of years as a Wicked Stepmother with very little positive feedback. Appreciation from Abuzz was very heady, healing attention--as is the warm fellowship I find at A2K.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 09:15 am
littlek and hamburger? Does ehBeth know about this?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 09:35 am
Ringing in with the rest in saying "A2K is the best". Like others have said, I have been in other forums, but I abandoned them all after pulling up a chair in here with all you wonderful and interesting people.
I've never felt this close to such a large group of people who I eventually considered family.
I've known some of you for around 8 years now and I'm so happy to have you in my world.

That means you too, Craven <Smooooooooooooch>
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 09:37 am
sozobe wrote:
littlek and hamburger? Does ehBeth know about this?

Have we uncovered something Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:39:34