Life-changing books

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:56 pm
Kara wrote:
DRyanWalker,

What book are you talking aobut?

He is talking about 1984 by George Orwell.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 08:01 pm
Asherman, you have taken me 'way back to books that influenced me when I was twenty. I was newly at Berkeley and read some radical stuff in philosophy class. I ran with it and foreswore all of my straight upbringing. My mother and father lamented my falling in among thieves, but what happened was that I was struggling to think for myself for the first time in my life.

I will never forget the first time I read Plato's dialogues. I was mesmerized. I would awaken at night and turn things over in my mind for hours. I realized that philosophy was my first thing.

It is still that, today.
0 Replies

velvett

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 01:29 am
he wrote in the subject - "1984"
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:28 am
Thanks, velvett and LionTamer...I didn't see the subject line until after I posted.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 05:48 am
I keep seeing this thread and cant resist.
DreamStory/Traumenovelle(commonly known as the film Eyes Wide Shut)
I read the book and found it mind blowing, it was written in sucha truthful way.I was and am still amazed as to how open it was.
I reckon it has attributed to my 'a bit to bold' attitude to airing my opinions.
0 Replies

mcho2k

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 05:37 pm
For me it was "The Path To Love" by Deepak Chopra. For some reason, after I read it, I began to open up to spirituality rather than religion. I considered myself an atheist for many years but after reading this book I realized I didn't need to claim a religion to be spiritually connected to the world. It wasn't some mind-blowing book but it did give me my first shove into the right direction.

I also like "Uncle Tom's Cabin." I love how Harriet Beecher Stowe writes. To date it's my favorite fiction.
0 Replies

Spirit 84

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 07:18 pm
the alchemist by paulo coelho..
how to stop worrying and start living? by dale carnegie..this book is great and i was really moved by its inspirational stories..
"dialogue with atheist friend" by mustafa mahmud..this book really changed me
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:04 am
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

&

Fight Club
0 Replies