cigerete sales company

tintin

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 10:30 am
Hi,

I have a tabular datasheet.

http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cigeretezr9.jpg

I have some queries on it .

Let me explain this tabular data .

please tell me whether i am correctly understood this table.

The 1st datasheet tells , TOTAL number of cigeretes production in EVERY year starting from 1996 and also out of these cigeretes filtered cigeretes percentage is also given .

Now , my confusion lies in the second datasheet.

For example , let me take first row for company ITC.

so, ITC has a sale of 622 crore Rs in 1999 and market share 57 % in 1999 and 46 % in 2001.

Question is :
(1) Is that sale of ITC only Filtered cigeretes ? does ITC not selling non-filtered cigeretes ?

(2) 57 % and 46 % share .......whats this share ? share of filtered cigerete sales ? please clarify what does this share means here ....this is confusing

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,219 • Replies: 9
No top replies

TTH

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 01:41 pm
I agree with your statement on the first data sheet.

The second data sheet deals with the market share of major companies that
manufacture filter tipped.

To me the second data sheet shows ITC has a 57% share of sales in 1999 of filter tipped and 46% in 2001.

In answer to your question then:
1) Yes, I would say the data sheet is only dealing with filtered. It does not mean ITC does not sell non-filtered.

2) The 57% and the 46% is the percentage of sales of filtered for the market share.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 01:48 pm
Re: cigerete sales company
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/badoit/cigs.jpg

In response to TTH's post,

1) Yes, I would say the data sheet is only dealing with filtered. It does not mean ITC does not sell non-filtered.

Agreed.

2) The 57% and the 46% is the percentage of sales of filtered for the market share.

Not agreed.

The caption reads, "Market share of major companies manufacturing filter tipped cigarettes". That does not mean that the sales figures are in respect of filtered cigarettes. This may be due to loose wording.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 02:07 pm
Re: cigerete sales company
contrex wrote:
In response to TTH's post,
contrex wrote:
Not agreed.

The caption reads, "Market share of major companies manufacturing filter tipped cigarettes". That does not mean that the sales figures are in respect of filtered cigarettes. This may be due to loose wording.

Contrex
Semantically speaking you are correct but you are splitting hairs. It is implied that the data in the lower table is referring to filter tipped cigarettes.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 11:08 pm
Ok...so can i assume the following then ?

in 1999 , the production of filered cigarete in india = 8000 x .26 =2080 crore pieces

and ITC alone has a share of 57 % .

so, ITC alone has sold 2080 x .57 = 1185 crore approx.

and by selling 1185 crore pieces cigaretes it has earned 622 crores of Rs in 1999.

is this correct ?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 04:34 am
Sounds right to me. Maybe you should explain to non-Indian readers what a "crore" is.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 05:22 am
1 crore = 10 million

its just bigger unit
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:37 am
tintin wrote:
Ok...so can i assume the following then ?

in 1999 , the production of filered cigarete in india = 8000 x .26 =2080 crore pieces

The production of filtered cigarettes in India for 1999 is 8050 according to the
data sheet.

Also, the data sheet doesn't indicate if India is included in the market share or even if all those major companies listed sell cigarettes in India.
It appears the data sheet is incomplete or there should be more information.

contrex, any thoughts on this?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 11:30 am
It reminds me of a test we administer to job applicants at the firm where I work. It is intended to test how good they are at absorbing information.

A number of times they read a little story and then have to check a series of statements about elements of the story. The possible answers are "true", "false", and "not enough information given".

If there was an overall heading, "Cigarette Production and Sales In India", I think we could take it that all of the tables apply to sales in that country. Maybe there is a heading that was cropped out when the image was uploaded.

Maybe this is educational material prepared by a hurried or overworked teacher?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 12:46 pm
I think in this case "not enough information given" would apply.
btw thanks contrex
0 Replies