Microsoft Updates...Nag, Nag, Nag

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 05:14 am
I have my Windows XP computer set to download critical updates automatically, but ask permission from me as to their installation. This morning my computer sported the familiar shield.

After I downloaded and installed the updates, Microsoft told me that in order for the updates to take effect, I would have to restart the computer. I had just gone on A2K, and wanted to read all the posts that I had missed first. So I clicked, "restart later".

A few minutes later, I got a similar message about restarting the computer. Again, I demurred. So here I was, merrily checking out the latest A2K posts, when I get THIRD screen, saying that if I did nothing, the computer would automatically restart in so and so seconds if I did not click that I did not want to restart just then. There even was a line that was fast turning blue, counting out the seconds, before Microsoft would take over my decision making. I beat the line.

Then I started to get worried. Maybe this particular update was especially critical, and Microsoft, the ever hovering parental figure, was just nagging me for my own good. So I closed and restarted the damn thing.

I had never seen these multiple screens before, nagging the user to restart his computer. There was usually only one screen, and then you were left alone to make the decision to restart.

Does anybody know why this happened? Is Microsoft becoming a more obsessive parent?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,002 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 06:39 am
Phoenix--

I'm not on Microsoft's grapevine, but I found your personification both trendy and timely.

My son sent me this link this morning.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/05/AR2007050501009_pf.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 06:47 am
Was the same here, phoenix, although a couple of hours earlier.

But only for the update - I clicked 'no' and di the same what you did, without any second, third time asked to restart.
(Several software updates do the same. I've never seen such as happened with you.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:44 am
Noddy- That is right on target!

Walter- I had never had the update nag me so incessantly. It really made me think that it was something super important!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:02 am
Phoenix--

Of course a lot of those combat soldiers were cuddling teddy bears well after you and I went through menopause.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:14 am
i never subscribed to automatic updates . i have a little note stuck on my computer to remind to update about twice a week when i'm done for the day - works for me - been that way for five years .
hbg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:37 am
I HATE that!

I will just have logged on to my computer at work. The update will start. I will click "restart later" and it will continue to pop up over and over adn over and over and over and over....
and it
DRIVES
ME
IN
SANE!

It takes a while for my work computer to boot up so I generally don't want to do it until I have a few minutes down time.

And then that stupid little box threatening me to restart pops up.

UGH!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:09 am
hamburger wrote:
i never subscribed to automatic updates . i have a little note stuck on my computer to remind to update about twice a week when i'm done for the day - works for me - been that way for five years .
hbg

A good reason for NOT doing that is because once in a while Microsoft comes up with a patch to close up a dangerous hole in its operating system. I don't know the probabilities of any one individual getting snookered into one of the holes, but I don't want to take that chance. I want to know IMMEDIATELY when the patch is available.

In fact, my Norton Virus scan has automatic updates, which are sent to my computer on a regular schedule. If one is available, you can download it manually, before it is sent out automatically. Every day or so, I take a moment to check if there are any new downloads out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:14 am
Fer instance, in the time between when I wrote the post and now (I even took some time to edit after it was written) I already downloaded a Norton Virus update.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 02:08 pm
my mcafee works in the background also - occasionally it will prompt me to "restart" .
how will you know that a window patch will require your immediate attention and that you can't postpone it ?
i haven't noticed that the updates come with any mesages describing the urgency/seriousness of the fix - am i missing something ?
hbg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 02:13 pm
hamburger- The updates which I download automatically are in the "critical" category. My attitude is that the faster that I get in into computer, the better. But that does not include having to restart and lose the list of new A2K updates! :wink:
0 Replies

official

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 05:04 am
Egh, microsoft. What a mess. Just don't upgrade to vista, whatever you do!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:47 am
I know so little about computers, I feel safer when I'm obedient.

I used to chafe at the Microsoft Yenta, but now I look into rebooting as a way to banish the tedious witch. One little click....and she's gone for the day! Poof!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 04:50 pm
official wrote :

Quote:
Egh, microsoft. What a mess. Just don't upgrade to vista, whatever you do!

i just received a letter from the company i bought my computer from about 1 1/2 years ago , offering a "deal" . for $98 they'll do a complete check and clean-up of my computer (home use) and install vista - i assume it's basic only .

what's the opinion on vista ?

i'm on windows xp and it doesn't give me any problems .

comments , anyone , please !
hbg
0 Replies