How long do I wait until my FICO score go up....?

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 12:01 pm
after I pay off my all credit card bills? I'm planning to buy a minivan and I need good credit if I apply for an auto loan. Will it take days, weeks or months?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,264 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 12:14 pm
Months.

Count on at least 6.

It might creep up as the creditors adjust their filing with the bureau but they can take up to 6 months to do so, if I remember correctly.

And just paying off your cards doesn't guarantee that your score will go up.

If you closed your accounts as well, that means not only did you get rid of debt but you also got rid of potential credit.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 01:18 pm
It doesn't take 6 months for activity to reflect on your credit report. If you paid off your cards it should be the next month after they were paid. And it should help your score.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 01:21 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
If you closed your accounts as well, that means not only did you get rid of debt but you also got rid of potential credit.

But at the same time they look at your revolving debt ratio, which is your owed balances vs. your combined credit limits. It doesn't look good to have 8 credit cards for the reason you mentioned, but it does help your score to have some available credit.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 01:37 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
It doesn't take 6 months for activity to reflect on your credit report. If you paid off your cards it should be the next month after they were paid. And it should help your score.

No but it can take that long for adverse data to be removed/corrected.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 01:40 pm
Your payment history is just as important as your balance amounts in figuring your fico.

30% amount
35% payment history
10% new credit
10% type of credit
15% length of your credit history

Bad payment history accounts for more than balance. Pay them off, great. But that doesn't guarantee your fico will go up significantly. Especially if you close all your accounts on top of that.

I spent about a year trying to clean up my credit report. Creditors are a bitch to work with. Even if you have up to date paid accounts, they sometimes will still remain under delinquint and that hurts your score.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 01:47 pm
Jeremiah, why don't you ask how many points are needed in order
to get a loan for a car, and then look at your credit history i.e. points
and go from there. Car dealers can tell you your actual points within
a couple of minutes (that is, if you don't know already).

Depending where you're applying for an auto loan, the requirements
might be quite different.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 11:45 am
Actually, I'm going to a credit union (Wescom) which I have an account there. I had no trouble borrowing for an auto loan about 8 years ago and I even filed for bankruptcy 10 years ago.

But when I applied for another auto loan about 4 years ago, I was denied.
0 Replies