Will you seek out the new Tolkien Novel: Children of Hurin?

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 10:31 am
I discovered The Hobbit in 1948 and read each installment of The Lord of the Rings as it was released.

When The Silmarillion was published, I was disappointed. I'm not a fan of the elevated diction of High Epic Fantasy, forsooth.

This morning after a month of shilly-shallying I ordered a copy of The Children of Hurin from the SFBC.

I recognize that I'll never be young and ardent again and that Christopher Tolkien is an editor rather than an author. Still, hope springs on little frog feet and springtime is a benign time of the year.

Will you be reading the new Tolkien?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 10:36 am
I don't know... The silmarillion was like reading instructions on programming a vcr in an imaginary language.... i'll probably wait and see what other's say....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 02:16 pm
BPB--

Once bit, twice shy.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 05:20 pm
Never heard of it until just now.

I agree the The Silmarillion was a colossal disappointment.

I'm in no rush, but I expect I might read it at some point...would certainly read it if it draws some good reviews and might read it anyway even if it doesn't...

Won't it be great if it doesn't stink to high heaven?
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:05 pm
I can't believe none of you like The Silmarillion--it's the Bible of Middle Earth!

I'll buy and read The Children of Hurin, but I don't hold out great hope; The Book of Lost Tales reads like disjointed notes with little if any editing, which is worth reading if you're a big fan, but has little of the entertainment value of Hobbit or LOTR.

That reminds, it's just about time for my annual visit to the Lonely Mountain and Mount Doom.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:11 am
Obviously there's a big difference between Authors and Editors.

When I finish the book--and it hasn't arrived yet--I'll post a review.
0 Replies

hopeinthehopewithoutantic

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 12:40 pm
Philosophy Children of Hurin
I have read this book. I liked it up until before the ending. I am curious to know the philosophy behind this novel, regardless my understanding.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 01:51 pm
Hopin--

Welcome to A2K.

I have The Children of Hurin, bought and paid for, on my To Read shelf.

The LOTR was wonderful and The Silmarillion was flawed and I'm going to have to find a day when I can face possible disappointment to sit down and read it.

When I read it, I'll post my thoughts here.

Do you read much fantasy?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:02 pm
I enjoyed Silmarillion tremendously. Never liked the short stories though. I don't think I'll be getting the Children of Hurin. Tolkien gave up on it, i feel like it will be a stretch. but who knows.we'll see what noddy says.
0 Replies

hopeinthehopewithoutantic

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 05:11 pm
Noddy,

This has been my first fantasy book. And I loved it till the end. The truth is I was comparing it to real life, mapping the protagonists to things in life. Honestly, I didn't like the author's ending. I expected a more courageous one.

BTW I saw the LOTR movies, but never didn't like them as much as I did reading this book.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 05:14 pm
Im
the
one
who
voted
schmantisy;
different
strokes.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 06:58 pm
Isn't Tolkein dead?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 09:58 pm
I'll definately be reading it. I loved the Silmarillion....eventually. It took 4 attempts over 20 years to get past the opening chapter.
0 Replies