tintin

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 08:48 am
GNP = Gross National Product

GDP= Gross Domestic product.

does they really different ?

can anybody please give an example to show me the difference ?

let me start this way ,

GDP is basically the all the money value of product produced by a nation ...right ? For example , the country may be producing tea...it has a money value ....country may produce tobaco ...it has also a money value .....so all these things we need to add it up to get the final money value or GDP value at the end of the year.....is this correct ?

Now , can you please explain what does this GNP means ?
please provide some example ....dont tell BIG BIG economics jargon......I am simple guy and want a simple example to understand this fact .

Hope , somebody will show me the light .

Thank you for your time .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,176 • Replies: 10
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 08:55 am
The difference between GNP and GDP is a matter of who and where:

GNP = goods and services produced by corporations in the U.S. plus goods and services produced by U.S. corporations in other countries

GDP = goods and services produced by U.S. corporations in the U.S. plus goods and services produced by foreign corporations in the U.S.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:27 am
Total Advertisingment Cost
Thank you for the response. that was a great reply .

Quote:
World Total Advertisingment Cost excluding direct mail = $76.3 billion

what does this "excluding direct mail" means here ?

How does "direct mail" is a part of advertisement cost ?

does direct mail means postal mail ? email ?

this is bit confusing.

can anybody tell me a bit information on this
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:47 am
Re: Total Advertisingment Cost
tintin wrote:
Thank you for the response. that was a great reply .

Quote:
World Total Advertisingment Cost excluding direct mail = $76.3 billion

what does this "excluding direct mail" means here ?

How does "direct mail" is a part of advertisement cost ?

does direct mail means postal mail ? email ?

this is bit confusing.

can anybody tell me a bit information on this
Yep. Just what it sounds like. Many, many companies spend billions more on direct mail advertising. All the junk mail advertisements you get in your physical mailbox constitute direct mail. Your number looks low, because direct mail alone is measured in the hundreds of billions.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:38 am
Er... no, expenses on direct mail advertising is not a double-digit component of our economy. Sure, there's a lot of junk mail, but not THAT much.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 11:04 am
Er... no, expenses on direct mail advertising is not a double-digit component of our economy. Sure, there's a lot of junk mail, but not THAT much.
Nor would it be with a 13 trillion dollar economy... but it looks like you're right. 50 billion dollars worth of mail created 600 billion in gross sales in the U.S. in 2005. My bad.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 11:23 am
revenue and turnover
Thanks for the response.

this was a good information.

could you please tell , what does it mean by "Turnover" in industry ?

i have a formula

Turnover=price x volume

but is not it called also revenue ?

does revenue and turnover are same thing ? or they are different ?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 11:27 am
Typically, "turnover" is used to describe employees starting and ending their careers at a particular job. What country are you from?
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 11:37 am
umm..i guess , you are wrong .

i have seen in newspaper news like this ..

Total turnover for company X is Y bn US$ .....something like this .

so, revenue and turnover are same or different ?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 11:44 am
You'd have to quote an exact sentence for a definitive answer. Exchange Markets are sometimes measured in "Daily Turnover" meaning X billion dollars were exchanged per day average...
0 Replies

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 11:47 am
There's two kinds of turnover - inventory turnover and job turnover.

Job turnover is a measure of how many new employees a company goes through a year. 5% turnover would mean that every year, 5% of the employees leave the company (quit, fired, laid off, whatever) and new people are hired for those positions. High turnover is bad, because then you don't have many experienced people. But it's also industry-specific; McDonald's is going to have huge turnover compared to, say, Boeing.

Inventory turnover is similar, but instead of measuring jobs, you're measuring inventory. Specifically, inventory turnover measures how long it takes for things to move from "produced" to "sold". Low inventory turnover means you have trouble moving your products to market (or, possibly, that you have a large inventory built up, relative to your sales.) High inventory turnover means it's flying out of your warehouses as soon as it gets there. It's mostly important in situations where a manufacturer continues making a poor-selling product, especially in big-ticket items like cars; having poor inventory turnover of a car means that eventually you'll need to shut down that assembly line (or plant!) until you unload the inventory you've already produced.
0 Replies