End of an Era

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:25 am
When I first started using the internet - netscape was *the* browser. Most of my companies applications were devloped using this browser and IE was what "rebels" used.....

AntiTrust or not, Microsoft did finally hound this great product out of the market.

End nears for Netscape browser
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,195 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Letty

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:48 am
Hey, Gautam. I hate hearing that for many reasons. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:58 am
Good riddance. Netscrape was a nightmare to develop for, with its magnificent amounts of bugs in displaying standardized code. I'm told the latest versions were better though.
0 Replies

owi

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:10 am
if you want a browser, try this one:

Mozilla Firebird

it's easy to use and it's not IE
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:45 am
owi wrote:
if you want a browser, try this one:

Mozilla Firebird

it's easy to use and it's not IE

Cute avatar! :wink:
0 Replies

owi

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 12:02 pm
Letty, Netscape uses Mozilla as basic and as Mozilla is Open Source Software many developers around the world still improve it. Therefor I think it's not such a big tragedy if no new Netscape versions are released. Just use Mozilla, it's about the same...

Monger, which version of Netscape did you develop for? 4.x, 6.x, 7.x?

New Haven, thanks :-)
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 01:49 pm
when i first started using the internet, ncsa mosaic was THE browser. in fact it was the only graphical browser.

aol spilt netscape and mozilla a long time. mozilla became an open-source project and netscape as well as others like firebird were based off mozilla. netscape is just a commercialized, more bloated version of mozilla. firebird, on the other hand, is a trimmed down faster version of mozilla. in fact mozilla 1.4 is supposed to be the last in the mozilla line. after that the mozilla project is switching over to development of firebird. i love firebird. it's what a browser is supposed to be. nothing more. nothing less.
0 Replies

owi

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 02:17 pm
ye110man wrote:
i love firebird. it's what a browser is supposed to be. nothing more. nothing less.

perfect description Exclamation
0 Replies