How do you listen to music?

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 05:30 am
Thank you, these posts have been really interesting.

T- I know what you mean, I think that is part of your conditioning though. Non-musicians definately would not listen to music like this, because they have no idea what they are listening to, what exactly is making the sounds. When I was doing music tech I started listening to music in the way you describe, but that was about 2 years ago, and this has faded a bit.

I think Hans Zimmer is ok- I have only heard his film music, which is a bit corny, but it does the job well. Pirates of the carribean is fun.

I think that if it wasn't for me being good at composition I wouldn't really like music. When I get exited about a song, it mainly tends to be because I want to create something similar. Having said that though- I hardly ever compose any more. It's like I'm waiting to go to university because then I will start doing it again.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 06:16 am
Let me answer your question with a question:
Which came first, music or dance?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 10:39 am
They came at the same time?

In my opinion, art, music, dance, literature are all the same.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 09:02 am
I think rhythm came first, then the neanderthals heard it and started bobbin' their heads. Then some clever bod added a melody and the rest is history.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 11:04 am
Dorothy Parker wrote:
I think rhythm came first, then the neanderthals heard it and started bobbin' their heads. Then some clever bod added a melody and the rest is history.

Perhaps something like this..?

The very first song
0 Replies

triple7allstar

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 03:42 pm
PQ - you should start composing again. Even if you just do it on your free time for the heck of it - can't put that down. What type of music do you compose?

I was LMFAO at that "creation of music" video - by the way - hahaha
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:48 am
Coolwhip wrote:
Dorothy Parker wrote:

Perhaps something like this..?

The very first song

he he , very good coolwhip!

Laughing
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 01:50 pm
Well the last time I composed was for one of my piano pupils last week, I wrote his GCSE pop song in about 10 minutes.
I used to be into film music, but not really anymore. I am really into sound, but I don't have the equipment to record it. I suppose if I sat down and composed now it would be a slightly minimal but heavy micheal nyman type thing with lots of nice crunchy chords and a bit of comercialness. hehe.
I will start composing a lot in September.
0 Replies