"Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 06:32 pm
I read these brainburr articles or books now and then -- after I've read them, everything I read seems to be an opening to talk about them. I'm most of the way through "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell and that seems to be one of those books. I already have gone on and on about one of the articles that went into it, about how we read faces without even knowing it (and how some people can "read minds" through their skill in reading faces).

Rather than going on and on about it everywhere (though I expect that I won't be able to keep my mouth shut in some instances), I thought I'd open a topic about it and see if anyone else read it/ wants to discuss it.

I think I like the articles that went into it better than the book itself -- perhaps Gladwell has especially good editors at the New Yorker that rein him in, but I like it better when he's in reporter mode, ("look what this person can do, isn't it interesting? this is how he does it") than Deep Meaning mode ("look what this person can do, and you can do it too, and everyone should because that would make the world better.")

But it's lots of interesting stuff!

Have you read it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 917 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 10:16 pm
It was excellent. I read it a couple months ago. I don't recall ever reading his articles, so I can't compare, but the book was a wonderful read. I particularly liked his analysis of the police shooting in New York.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 07:50 am
Hey Mills,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

Yeah, the police stuff was interesting. I hadn't read it yet when I posted the above. It had the most convincing "recognize these unconscious thought processes and take these steps to prevent bad stuff from happening" link. White space, one officer approaching a car at a time, etc.

The ideas (from the whole book) are definitely sticking in my head, I'm constantly seeing situations where one or another idea applies.
0 Replies