I love myself but I don't particularly like me

Roberta

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 02:32 pm
Re: I love myself but I don't particularly like me
Heeven wrote:
It's taken a while but, over the years, I've come to love myself - flaws, faults and all. And while this is all fabulous, my self-loving-fan-club, I subconsciously know that if I were to meet me (another replica of me) in any environment, I would not particularly like me.

I've often wondered if I should work on me - the day-to-day me - and try to improve her or try to make her a nicer person, but then I get into a love-fest of myself and think "why should I, aren't I fabulous already?"

I know I am arrogant (at times). I have caught myself extolling B.S. like there is no tomorrow and yet I would sniff at any other poor fool who did the same. I am generally of the opinion that I am almost always right and find it difficult not to sulk like a two-year-old when I am challenged or proved wrong.

I can be quite opinionated and aggressive (when I feel strongly enough in the subject matter). I have hurt people verbally and internally kicked myself for doing it when I see the hurt, and cowardly didn't apologize or recognise that fact to them so it wouldn't fester with them later.

I can be a poor friend. I have them fit into my schedule and not the other way around. I think I push people (outside of my immediate family) who want to be my friend away, to a certain degree. I've wondered, once or twice, if I would benefit from relationship therapy but I don't care enough to do more than wonder. I am perfectly happy not having a truckload of friends that I have scheduled dates with because (I think) I prefer a more solitary personal life, fitting in only the ones I am extremely fond of. Is that odd? Am I strange?

While I am talking about the negatives above, don't get me wrong, I am neither happy nor unhappy with who I am. I generally don't think about it, except once every so often. I look at people, couples, families, very close girlfriends and I sometimes feel like I'm the odd one out. Am I not conforming to the social norm? Am I unable to?

Not really expecting any advice here, just putting my thoughts into words today, because it's not something I generally do - think about who I am and what I see when I compare me to others.

Heeven, You name some qualities in yourself that aren't all that likable. (Poor friend, hurting people, arrogance, etc.) Since you're sufficiently self-aware to know that you have these qualities, you're judging yourself and decided you don't like yourself.

We've known each other for a long time in a distant cyberspatial sort of way. I have never seen these qualities (and don't want to), and I like you a lot.

Everybody is flawed, except possibly for me. (If pressed, I could come up with a flaw or thirty). I would not and could not be by friend. My friends tend to be very different from me. The yin yang thing or whatever.

Don't know where I'm going with this. I'll follow your lead. But I do know that you almost always make me laugh or smile. That counts for a lot in my book.

So be a selfish bitch. Just be amusing about it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 02:32 pm
Hmmm...I still don't see how that means you don't like yourself. You don't like certain things about yourself, but really, overall, you do like yourself.

At least that's what I'm hearing.

But then again, when the topic of love comes up, I don't have a clue what the f--- I'm talking about. Carry on.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 02:56 pm
See that's just the thing Roberta, I am a selfish bitch. I do dislike that about myself (from the outside looking in) and wonder am I so arrogant that I love myself in spite of that?

This is so weird to explain.

I do see what my pals like about me. I can be funny and goofy and do have half a brain. But I have caught myself being a complete ass and wonder why people put up with that shite. I wouldn't put up with it from them and don't get why they do from me. Of course, I am a scary selfish bitch so I probably frighten the shite out of them and they wouldn't dare say it to me.

Anyway, I will try, for one day, to be a 'nice and sweet' person and see how I do. I've often wondered what that was like.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 03:15 pm
Heeven wrote:
See that's just the thing Roberta, I am a selfish bitch. I do dislike that about myself (from the outside looking in) and wonder am I so arrogant that I love myself in spite of that?

This is so weird to explain.

I do see what my pals like about me. I can be funny and goofy and do have half a brain. But I have caught myself being a complete ass and wonder why people put up with that shite. I wouldn't put up with it from them and don't get why they do from me. Of course, I am a scary selfish bitch so I probably frighten the shite out of them and they wouldn't dare say it to me.

Anyway, I will try, for one day, to be a 'nice and sweet' person and see how I do. I've often wondered what that was like.

Heeven, Believe me when I tell you that nice and sweet is not the way to go. I understand what you're saying. I often wonder how I have any friends at all. I have wonderful friends. Go figure. (I'm not a selfish bitch; I'm a negative kvetch.)

Remember that people are your friends because of who you are and in spite of who you are. Don't try anything too radical. Maybe you could start with less selfish.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 03:16 pm
Roberta wrote:
Maybe you could start with less selfish.

NO, HEEVEN, DON"T . . . it's a trap ! ! !
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 04:14 pm
Heeven wrote:
[...] Anyway, I will try, for one day, to be a 'nice and sweet' person and see how I do. [...]

Is this kind of like those New Year's resolutions that folks make that last.....oh, about 10 minutes? :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 04:32 pm
in my case, probably

not sure I can maintain it

just trying it to see if how difficult it is for me

will report back tomorrow if people are fainting from shock
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 05:05 pm
Heeven, I hear what you are saying....
You're kinda freak'n me out cause I've been thinking the same thoughts myself about myself (not about you)

Yikes!

I like what Gus said.

And the yin/yang thing.

On a side note:
Growing up, my cousin Ann and I never got along (Cousin Ann was born one day before me) We would fight over the attentions of another six month younger cousin, who didn't have a very strong personality. Ann and I are Leos... Bossy things as children
Anyways, just a few years ago, we became friends, Ann and I. We even lived together briefly. We now have alot of fun together because we are so much alike. We understand each other. Except she has this people pleasing thing she does cause she wants the world to like her. While I am much less polite and much more honest.

Sometimes yin and yin work, but maybe only when they are related...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 06:00 pm
Interesting stuff...... (still reading)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 08:27 pm
Most people are harder on themselves as the people surrounding them are,
probably because of the many faultlines that are known all too well.

The traits we don't like in ourselves are usually the weak spots we can't
control and/or change. Others might perceive them as lovable and
charming instead, and see you in a different light.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 08:44 pm
This American Life (radio program) had a show last weekend about people who have redeemed themselves with their family and friends. One guy started interviewing his friends to see if they thought he was an ash-hole. They did. Ouch. I missed how he redeemed himself.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 08:17 am
I think if I asked the people in my life this question, I would be getting the same answer.

I am a lovable ash-ole however!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 09:29 am
...and you're quite charming too!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 06:21 am
Hehe. I went looking for Gus and found Heeven. Spmehow missed this thread when it started.

As far as friends that like you being a loveable asshole... That sounds familiar. I'm getting better at being an asshole, but your post made me think immediately of a friend I once had that I absolutley adored for her ability to not take any crap and just state things as they are. People that don't have that, those that think they have to be all nicey nice, live vicariously through those that know better.

So... How'd the nice thing work out for you?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:41 am
honey don't sell yourself so short... you've just about got it down perfectly.

Now if you could just show me how to be more upfront about things....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:47 am
When you discover how to make yourself humble, please clue me in to the process.

(Then we can start working on some of the other folks around here....)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 07:51 am
DrewDad wrote:
When you discover how to make yourself humble, please clue me in to the process.

(Then we can start working on some of the other folks around here....)

for me it was the day I realized that God made me, for reasons best known to himself, as all around unbelievably fantastic as I am and it wasn't something I did. It was a humbling revelation.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 10:59 am
Well Day 1 of the 'being-nice" thing was a pain in the arse.

I held my tongue when I wanted to make smart comments and smiled politely instead of snapping at someone who annoyed me. I came away feeling very stressed and quite perturbed. This nice thing is so much harder than I thought. Or maybe I am so used to being me that it's a strain consciously trying not to be.

A coworker, who I usually am quite verbal with (nice way of putting it), was concerned. Asked if I
a. was sick
b. was depressed
c. had just handed in my notice
I did not rise to the bait. I smiled and went back to my desk.

Next day, the strain was getting to me, and I beat the living sh!t out of cuddy toy on my desk when I, yet again, bit my tongue when stupid person asked me stupid question. Two people expressed concern about my welfare (noticing change in behavior apparently did not make them feel at ease) and one co-worker hedged about asking me questions on my feelings regarding gun-control and whatnot. Later realized he might have been concerned about previous exaultations of bringing in AK47 and well, those kind of jokes not appropriate these days so am keeping trap shut.

Day 3, slipped and spat out nasty verbalization at extremely annoying dumbass who couldn't help but trod on my toe with stupid high heel shoe. Told her I would take my own shoe off and beat her to death. Have possibly fallen off wagon.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 07:44 am
Good again today.

Watched TV show last night that highlighted things to do in Hawaii and put me in good mood since I will be there in 6 weeks time (yay!)

Smiled at people on train (not my usual morning behavior, am bit of a bear in the morning). Got several smiles back and one scared look with person moving to other end of train.

Have had breakfast, so bear-y-ness is dissolving.

Going to do random-acts-of-kindness-thingy (I heard about) and see what happens.

Will report back later.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:58 am
You bring new meaning to the term "killing with kindness" Laughing
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/13/2024 at 11:31:59