Two stabbed and two arrested in convent fracas

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 05:34 pm
Quote:
Two stabbed and two arrested in convent fracas

Thu Apr 12, 8:19 PM ET

Two people were stabbed and two arrested in scuffles at a Cyprus convent on Thursday in a power struggle between rival factions, police said.

Witnesses said priests and nuns were involved in the night-time fracas at the Metamorphosis tou Sotiros convent, some 35 km (22 miles) south east of the Cypriot capital Nicosia.

Disputes there have been simmering for months over control of its speculated vast wealth.

The people injured and those arrested were laymen, police said. "Two required stitches for head injuries inflicted by sharp implements and two were detained for obstructing police," a police source told Reuters.

The convent follows the old Julian calendar and is not considered part of the official Orthodox Church of Cyprus. Last December a nun at the convent was hospitalised following an assault.

You'd think they could just have settled it all with a friendly arm wrestling competition and a few follow-up Hail Marys, or something, eh?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 21
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 05:52 pm
Nun's Story, revisited.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:02 pm
Never get between priests, nuns, and a collection plate.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:15 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Nun's Story, revisited.

Care to expand?

edgarblythe wrote:
Never get between priests, nuns, and a collection plate.

Great comeback! Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:17 pm
The moral of the story for the laymen: don't meddle in when it's nun of your business!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 07:45 pm
Groan......................
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 07:56 pm
Somehow, I just knew that Diane was going to show up here.

Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 07:57 pm
Diane wrote:
Groan......................

Nun of your business?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:01 pm
Eva, you foretune teller.

Bunny, between you and dasha, I'll be groaning for the rest of the night and the cowboy is already in bed, so the groaning will be of no real use. Sigh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:21 pm
You know me, Reyn, I'm always glad to expand.

There was a book in the fifties called The Nun's Story.
Also a movie, with, I think, Audrey Hepburn as the nun.

I read it around the time I was dealing with my own issues, which were that as a senior in high school writing for the local catholic paper, or was it my high school paper, I did both though that was no strenuous task, I interviewed the nun who taught home ec one afternoon after school. She asked me about my vocation. This was routine, we had vocation assemblies every so often. This appalls me now, but was just how it was then. I had already figured out I needed to be a Single Woman In the World, the least mentioned choice. The choices went in the order of Bride of Christ, Married Woman, and Single Woman in the World, the punch on the first two, in that order.

So I told her I was going to be a Single Woman in the World, since I planned to study medicine and women couldn't be good doctors and also marry and have children and obey their husbands and so on. (Med schools agreed at that time. So she told me she thought I had a vocation and went on about the Maryknoll sisters and my school's order, who had a nursing section, and blah blah.

I didn't really want to be a missionary, not because I had my distaste for that that I do now, but because I was afraid of snakes and spiders and, really, I pictured myself being a surgical resident at some major hospital, just like a certain skating star became around that time.

So I wrote my article and time passed and my teachers started with me.
My latin teacher told me she had a dream, and my (in memory sharp and witty) chemistry teacher told me she knew I had a vocation the day she heard I was home with the flu..

Well, this all got to me, so that at our girls' school class picnic, I was allowed into the secret to us convent quarters... and my parents and I visited the parlor at the school convent for a Conversation, me basically being signed up for the next September as a postulant to the Sisters of So On.

Some here know that I went that summer with my dad and a cameraman, a sound engineer, and a film editor to make a film about feed additives for Armour, mostly shot at stockyards and farms.

I ended up with a (now I would say delicious) crush on the film editor, and the convent was kaput.

Somewhere around then, probably before the film trip, I read the Nun's Story..... I now remember nada about it, but I think it fostered my inner martyr.

This all was fairly formative - I have no patience with martyrosity today.

Re this thread, one slight memory of the book was that the protagonist's experience was intense.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:33 pm
Lightening up, I did have two gurlfriends who went on some cruise which turned out to be full of old fogies, but they had an ok time anyway. There was some costume event - if you know me, you'll know I am cruisephobic - and they wore sheets and made signs saying "We ain't got nun".

Well, we thought that was funny, at the time, cough.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:37 pm
Thanks, Osso, nice story!

ossobuco wrote:
[...] I didn't really want to be a missionary, not because I had my distaste for that that I do now, but because I was afraid of snakes and spiders [...]

hehe! Laughing

I'm glad it wasn't because of philosophical reasons.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:50 pm
Nun's Story Link

(check the review)

I'm not really mocking believers or beliefs. I've friends I respect who retain belief. My outrage is to manipulation and coercion.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 09:22 pm
ossobuco wrote:

My outrage is to manipulation and coercion.

yes.

Good story osso.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 11:59 pm
Thanks, dad.

Found the figure skater of my teen ideas - Tenley Albright
http://www.usoc.org/11506_49768.htm
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 10:11 am
I hope they don't make a habit of this.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 11:59 am
Yes, indeed! They've made such an investment of being so pious.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:35 pm
They appear to be praying on each other.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:41 pm
A mass of sacrilegious responses . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:43 pm
Rather convent-tional, really.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Two stabbed and two arrested in convent fracas
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 3.54 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:30:08