Mind-Boggled

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 01:04 am
Sometimes we need to take a step back from what we're seeing or doing and think for a moment. Can this be happening?

Last night, some folks here were having fun getting images of our homes from space. (http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=94552&highlight=&sid=1512e882179c9d11d04dfd9b0dde9547) Fun. That's my house! Nice park!

When I woke up today and thought about it, my mind was boggled. A photograph from space. Of anywhere, more or less.

I'm walking down the street. Someone is talking--to no one? No phone is visible. Ah. Ear plug and mouthpiece. No big deal. Right. Wrong! Mind-boggling!

We all come here to talk, exchange information, shoot the breeze. Where is here? There is no here. "Here" is some kinda chip in Craven's underwear drawer. We communicate simultaneously across thousands of miles. Mind-boggling.

My mind isn't boggled only by technology. I was watching one of my nature shows. Big snakes. A python 22 feet long. Heard about these snakes hundreds of times. But this time I stopped. I looked at my window. I looked at the edge of a doorway that is about 20 feet away. Window. Doorway. Doorway. Window. That is one big freakin' snake. Mind-boggling.

World population give or take, 6,525,170,264. Mind-boggling.

Things come at us fast and furiously. We nod. We accept. We go about our business. Sometimes I think we need to step back for a minute and consider what's happening. We need to let our minds be boggled to appreciate what's really happening.

Has your mind been boggled lately?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,043 • Replies: 42
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 01:23 am
I'm still boggled that my fingers etc. do what I want them to do, and that I can see!!!

Don't START me on television!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 01:26 am
I didn't say nuttin' 'bout television. Not gonna--now. I was thinking about it, though.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:19 am
[quote]Things come at us fast and furiously. We nod. We accept. We go about our business. Sometimes I think we need to step back for a minute and consider what's happening. We need to let our minds be boggled to appreciate what's really happening.

Has your mind been boggled lately? [/quote]

I think you are soooo right...
My mind is boggled often!

Looking at my son (9 months) it is hard to comprehend how this little bundle of joy came to be!
He's nothing that was not in me or my husband, but he's all himself, even at that age.
He knows what he wants, and he's telling you!

These are such beautiful days, sunshine, warmth...
I look at the sun, and try to imagine this big ball of fire in the sky.
Impossible!
How everything works be just being right (in size, distance, speed).
Is this all just a lucky coincidence?

Just bought some strawberries for the garden!
The plants look pretty puny at the moment, but in less than three months, they will carry the sweetest fruits.
Amazing!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:33 am
I'm often boggled by how we humans survive. Seriously. We are so damn fragile.
Sometimes I just stare and stare at how soft and tiny people are.
Sometimes it is sweet and sometimes it shocks me all over again. We are resilent as cockroachs, but so easy to bleed too.

And, last I night I was boggled by how amazing it is to live in a time and place where I can talk to three different people - with them speaking a language I barely speak anymore - all from different places in the world, with different mixes of one understood language.

And we managed to communicate. And all be there for one common reason. Incredible!

And to top it off: the wonder of being a woman and not being property.

I feel blessed regularly for that. How far we have come in so little time, really! Just imagining being a woman in another time and place...some of it....it's beastly and incredible how we survived.

Sex still boggles me. Sex in this time - very strange, we are!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 07:49 am
Glad you brought that up, Roberta. We are just so accepting. I mean, once we put a name to something, we not only accept things, we think we have an understanding - and all because we've named it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 07:58 am
We propel our cars with decayed sludge millions of years old.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:00 am
""Here" is some kinda chip in Craven's underwear drawer."

Ok, thanks for ruining my breakfast. This is a visual I really didn't need. besides, I heard Craven doesn't even own any underwear. Razz
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:21 am
I am boggled constantly. I like to think of it as "magic." Of course there is science behind all of it, but that takes a lot of the fun out of it. I'd rather think of it as magic. I don't want to lose the precious capacity to be boggled.

I flip a switch and a light comes on. Magic.

The water goes down the drain and disappears. Magic.

A hot motor on the back of the refrigerator makes it cold inside. Magic.

The stoplight on the corner always changes to green when four or more cars line up. Magic.

I can buy fresh strawberries at the grocery store in the middle of a winter blizzard. Magic.

My husband has looked at me first thing in the morning every morning for 25 years and he still loves me. Definitely magic.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 09:01 am
While the birth of a child is a wondrous thing, what truly amazes me is that starting with nothing but the ability to go "waaah waaah", he soon learns to express basic thoughts with words and quickly learns the nuances of the use of words.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 09:45 am
Eva wrote:
[...] My husband has looked at me first thing in the morning every morning for 25 years and he still loves me. Definitely magic.

We love you, too! :wink: Laughing

http://www.unilever.com/Images/Lady-with-hair-curlers-125x_tcm13-23786.jpg
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 09:57 am
You can explain it to me a thousand times but the whole radio airwaves thing really boggles my mind and always has.

That someone learned about this invisible thing and how to use it ... boggling.

Also, that squirrels remember where they put their acorns, and if they aren't hungry and don't dig up all those acorns... they become trees. Boggling.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 01:19 pm
Bohne, Life on this planet is mind-boggling. From the sun to a strawberry to a new unique human.

flushd, Resilience, communication, freedom, and sex. Mind-boggling.

Roger, Yup, somebody comes up with something new. It has a name. We feel comfortable. We accept and move on.

Drewdad, Decayed sludge? I guess that's what it is. Mind-boggling.

fishin, Sorry your breakfast was ruined. I was just guessing about the underwear drawer. The thing is that there is no "here" in a real physical sense. Or there are thousands of "heres." Our individual computers.

Eva, boggled or magic. Either way It's good to think about what's happening. And your husband looks at you every morning and still loves you. No less boggling that you look at him every morning and love him back.

flyboy, Language, communication, understanding. Mind-boggling. And so human.

squinney, We deal daily with the invisible. Mind boggling how we accept what we can't so but know is there. Stopped and thought about the squirrels. You boggled my mind. Either they eat or we get an oak tree. Mind-boggling.

I'm still boggled by remote controls. Turn on the tv. Turn on the fan. Get a firing going in the fireplace. Can't see it. We press a button over here and something happens over there. No wires. No visible connection. Mind-boggling.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 01:30 pm
"flyboy, Language, communication, understanding. Mind-boggling. And so human."

Roberta, was this a considered use of "so" relating to the thread on that subject? If so, good recollection.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 01:36 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
"flyboy, Language, communication, understanding. Mind-boggling. And so human."

Roberta, was this a considered use of "so" relating to the thread on that subject? If so, good recollection.

It could be an illustration of the use of "so." If the shoe fits, why not? But it was just me talking (with my fingers).
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:23 pm
Reyn wrote:
Eva wrote:
[...] My husband has looked at me first thing in the morning every morning for 25 years and he still loves me. Definitely magic.

We love you, too! :wink: Laughing

http://www.unilever.com/Images/Lady-with-hair-curlers-125x_tcm13-23786.jpg

If only I looked that good! (lipstick with curlers? Rolling Eyes )

Smooches to you, Reyn!
(...but not first thing in the morning, I promise.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:32 pm
The squirrel-food-or-oak-tree thing really is mind-boggling.

See this fish?

http://www.photoseek.com/97BZE-P06-07-Parrot-fish.jpg

It's called a parrot fish. You see them around coral reefs all the time. They eat coral. You can actually hear them chipping off small chunks of the stuff underwater if you snorkel. Of course, the fish can't thoroughly digest the rock-like stuff, so when they...uh...defecate, the stuff winds up on the ocean floor where waves wash it up onto land. If there's enough of it, we call it a beach. That's right. "Sand" is actually fish crap. Now, that's mind-boggling.

See http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/animals/fish/parrot-fish.html
"...its diet, which consists primarily of algae extracted from chunks of coral ripped from a reef. The coral is pulverized with grinding teeth in the fishes' throats in order to get to the algae-filled polyps inside. Much of the sand in the parrot fish's range is actually the ground-up, undigested coral they excrete."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:47 pm
I'm in a constant state of boggle.

I know this has already been alluded to, but when sozlet was about 4 months old, quite a good size, smiling, giggling, total personality, I suddenly realized that she was created entirely out of one teeny sperm and layers upon layers of me. That's it. (She was exclusively breastfed at that point.) I thought of it in terms of sand and pearls (that's why Eva's cool post reminded me).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:58 pm
Eva, Beyond boggled. Not just that sand and beaches are fish poop. Made me think that (aside from humans) there's no natural waste on this planet. Everything is recycled naturally. Death brings life. Poop brings beaches and fertilizer.

soz, True for every living thing that's born. A seed. A mother. A life.

I like taking the time to stop and think about this stuff. It's lifting my spirits. Why? Dunno. But it is.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 05:57 pm
Boidy! What a nice thread--it is uplifting.

Small things are usually what boggle me the most; the feel of a rose petal, little crocus tips showing through snow; when I lived in Connecticut, the smell of earth as the ground melts after winter (amazing how wonderful dirt smells).

We don't have a good view of the surrounding countryside here, but we can see the clouds and in the evening, during sunset, when we get to see the vibrant colors being reflected off the clouds. Then we get to see the moon shining on the white flowers in our garden--that really is magic.

Some of my favorite things are desert plants--their life force is strong enough to break through boulders and to thrive on terrible soil and the rare blessing of water. Thorny cacti with delicate, exquisite blossoms. That they can survive and even thrive, is truly mind boggling.

I'm also boggled by the fact that scientists still don't know why electricity works--something we all take for granted, at least in developed countries. There are so many things that they don't truly understand, yet they can still send men and women to the moon.

Ah, but the internet is the most boggling. Most of my best friends are those I met mostly here on A2K. Friends from so many different countries and friends from different states. Meeting Osso in NYC, she coming from California, I from, at the time, Connecticut. Both of us meeting you, Roberta, and a friend of Osso's who originally came from Italy. And going to Europe and meeting friends in person--those same friends we first met here on A2K.

Our access to information from every conceivable source and friends we get to pick and choose from A2K are luxuries that our children already take for granted. Our children don't know what LP's are, not even typewriters. I imagine quite a few of the young ones don't realize that phones used to have cords. For pity's sake, I still remember party lines and calling the operator and not only getting a phone number, but the address of the person I will be calling.

The boggle boggles!!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mind-Boggled
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:27:17