Pay Pal Questions

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 03:16 am
I've heard of Pay Pal. I know it's a method of payment. That's about the extent of my knowledge. I looked on google, but couldn't find the answers to my questions.

If I take a job that pays via Pay Pal, do I have to have a Pay Pal account to receive the payment?

What form does the payment take? Is it the equivalent of a check?

Can the payment come directly to me? Or is it a direct deposit arrangement? Or both, depending on what I want?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,727 • Replies: 21
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:19 am
According to Pay Pal's website:

Quote:

This is if you set yourself up as a Paypal merchant. Looks like a lot of these such solutions (Paypal has something like 6 of them), it's $20/month.

However, looking at the finer print, I'm guessing that the place that wants to pay you has Paypal. In that case, except for the "Additional Payment" Option, their customers (I guess that includes you) do not need to have a Paypal account.

But it may not hurt to have one, anyway, as it can come in handy. I believe that it would take the place of a direct deposit but I've never actually been paid by Paypal; I've just paid out from it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:20 am
I've got a paypal account, and it's never given me any problems
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:58 am
What I need to know is whether I can be paid by someone using Pay Pal if I don't have a Pay Pal account. What form does the payment take? Is it the same as a check?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:05 am
You get it on your bank account - at least here, since cheques are (nearly) out of use since ages. (And I personally would not like to accept one.)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:35 am
I gather that I don't have to have a Pay Pal account to be paid by Pay Pal. But what if I don't want the payment to go to my bank account. I want the payment to come to me. Is that possible?

Do I have to pay for a Pay Pal account. Not sure what you meant, Jes, by the $20 a month. Is that for if I want to make payments? (I don't.)

Do I have to pay to have a Pay Pal account?

Walter, all the companies I work for pay by check. And I pay all my bills by check.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:49 am
Roberta wrote:
Walter, all the companies I work for pay by check. And I pay all my bills by check.

Oh. Such isn't done by companies since .... 35 years or more (all bank transferred) and I've never payed my bills with a cheque in all my life (either direct debit or online transfer [formerly via bank office])
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:56 am
Sorry I was rude and didn't thank everybody for the responses. (I'm tired.) No excuse.

Thanks, all.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:08 am
I believe pay pal works somewhat similar to a bank account. You can keep a balance there. You can transfer money out or in from other bank accounts. It appears premiere pay pal accounts even supply you with an ATM card to use.

I doubt they use checks. Most online banking is done with direct transfer. You will have to have a bank account you can set up to transfer money to. I transfer to and from my regular checking account all the time.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:19 am
Parados, So I can have a payment made directly to my bank account, but not directly to me. I have a bank account. I was just wondering if I could avoid using it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:24 am
I was under the assumption that you had to have a paypal account to receive money from paypal. The person pays you, it goes into your paypal account which islinked to your bank account. You transfer the money to your bank account.

I am a seller on ebay and that's how it works for me. But I was a buyer prior to being a seller and had a paypal account already so maybe its different for someone who doesn't already have an account.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:33 am
Thanks, Bella. Do I have to pay for a Pay Pal account?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:43 am
Roberta wrote:
Parados, So I can have a payment made directly to my bank account, but not directly to me. I have a bank account. I was just wondering if I could avoid using it.

I'm not sure why you want to avoid using your bank account. You could make all your purchases with pay pal and never transfer the money out to your bank account.

Your pay pal account won't hide the money from the government or anyone else that would have access to your bank records. I wouldn't try using pay pal to avoid income taxes. Any employer that is paying you by using pay pal is still required to withhold taxes and pay their share of FICA. If they aren't doing that, they are violating the law and you will be responsible for the taxes not withheld.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:47 am
I have a Premiere account (I have no idea what that means!) and I pay a percentage to Paypal of the money that someone pays me. I know they have personal accounts and I am not sure if you need a premiere account to accept money or not.

There is a customer service number to call if you want to actually talk to a real person at Paypal. They'd probably be more than happen to answer your quetions...espeically if they think you're signing up.

1-888-221-1161

Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:14 am
Parados, I'm not trying to hide my income from the government. I declare every cent I earn. I simply find it easier to keep track of my money when I get the checks. I avoid direct deposit from all the companies I work for. I think my wording was misleading.

I went back on line and found some additional info. Opening an account is free. I believe that payments would go to my Pay Pal account and then I could transfer funds to my bank account. The transfer would also be free. It does not work like a check that could come directly to me.

I think I've got it.

If I'd dug around enough the first time, I wouldn't have had to bother anybody. Sorry.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:57 am
Roberta, just make sure you don't have to pay them a percentage of what you get. I know I do. But we may have different accounts with different rules.

Good luck!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:32 am
Roberta wrote:
Thanks, Bella. Do I have to pay for a Pay Pal account?

If someone is paying your via PayPal then you have to have an account. The account is free. You just sign up and it takes about 24 hours to finalize.

When you create your PayPal account you can link it to your existing checking account or a major credit card.

PayPal acts an an intermediate account.

The other person uses their PayPal account to transfer money to you (They just need to know your e-mail address). PayPal withdraws the money from their bank account and deposits it into your PayPal account. You should get an e-mail notification any time that happens.

Then you can log into your PayPal account and transfer the money to your linked bank account or credit card. If you buy things on-line with merchants that accept payments through PayPal you could also use the money to pay for your purchases.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:33 pm
Thanks Fishin. That's the info I was looking for. The money doesn't go directly into my checking account. I transfer the money to my account from my Pay Pal account. And I don't have to pay for my account. Poifect.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:40 pm
Roberta wrote:
Thanks Fishin. That's the info I was looking for. The money doesn't go directly into my checking account. I transfer the money to my account from my Pay Pal account. And I don't have to pay for my account. Poifect.

The only time you pay for anything with PayPal (their basic account anyway) is when you send money to someone else. If you want to transfer $300 to me (which I willl glady give you my e-mail addy to do! Very Happy ) you'd have to send something like $305 for me to get $300. PayPal keeps the other $5 as their fee. Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:48 pm
(thanks for the PayPal reminder - I popped in to make a little donation to A2K)
0 Replies