Does anyone here sew? I have a question.

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:34 am
I had bought a pair of pants that fit perfectly, except for the length. I shortened the hems a bit, but now, since I've washed them a few times, now they're just a bit too short to wear with heels.

They look fine with flats, but I want the option to wear with heels too.

If I let the hem out I'll have that awful looking crease from their prior length.

Does anyone know how to get rid of that crease? I don't think a steam iron would totally take it out, and I don't want to burn the cloth.

They're a twill.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 975 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:48 am
You might want to try taking a clean cloth, (like a pillowcase), soaking it in water, wringing it out, and then using it to steam out the crease, by laying it on top of the pants, and ironing over it.

If that does not work, shorten the slacks some more, and you will have a pair of "cropped" pants!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:19 am
Or try a commercial laundry place. They have trouser presses that put in and take out creases.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:23 am
Good ideas both!

I'll try the steam cloth first.

I never considered a laundry would have a press hot enough for that. I'll do that if the first one fails.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:36 am
my grandmother used to put the ends of her pants into boiling water for a few minutes.

I dont think that would work on twill though...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:42 am
This doesnt help but is kinda related for future reference.
If you want to shorten trousers, sit down in them and cross your legs, then shorten the leg length of the top trouser to the correct length(then measure and shorten other leg).They may still look long when you uncross your legs but at least you know its not wise to go any shorter.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 08:16 am
Once I shortened my pants too much as well... but I haven't folded them, I chopped the excess material off. When I saw what i did, I sewed it back on. The sewed on part was widening, i added a slit and voila....it actually looked muy cool.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 08:21 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Once I shortened my pants too much as well... but I haven't folded them, I chopped the excess material off. When I saw what i did, I sewed it back on. The sewed on part was widening, i added a slit and voila....it actually looked muy cool.

I'd seen where people sewed on a different cloth, with a different color, but I thought that then would limit what I could where with it.

So, the same cloth sewed back on didn't look weird?

The slit sounds cool.

Unfortunately, this is all hand sewing, I'm not a professional, although I do make neat stiches.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:02 am
well, i made the pants myself. so i had plenty of materials. i ended up cutting it at around 3/4 length, and the addition started from there, widening into bell bottoms. it looked deliberate.
the only thing with a slit is that it looks best with either boots or heels, not so much with flats and socks.... so options are limited there too.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 01:40 pm
I wonder if soaking them overnight in a bucket of water and fabric softener might do the trick?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 02:12 pm
My grandfather who always ironed his pants himself, swore by using a clean
cotton kitchen towel soaked in vinegar water, cover the crease, and then iron on very high setting.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 02:18 pm
A RAJHA CLOTH might help too.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 02:18 pm
vinegar water....that's a good idea too.

I'm a nut about ironing...every morning, it's like I, I don't know, accomplished something.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 02:30 pm
Chai--

Every morning you take out your iron and battle imperfection. Then, when you're warmed up, you log on to A2K.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 02:38 pm
HAH! That's too funny.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 02:55 pm
Why not hang it, weigh the ends down and use some of the wrinkle remover spray that they have for shirts now? Stuff works well on shirts.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 05:48 pm
Try wetting a piece of fabric with white vinegar and putting that wet fabric on the crease then pressing it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:04 pm
vinegar. hm, who knew. it's one of those perfect liquids. you can eat it, clean floors with it, then use it in ironing. wonderwater.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:32 pm
I should elaborate on my grandmothers boiling water..

she would soak her thick cloth in boilin gwater for a while, then stretch them over an appropriate shaped tube to remove all creases.. and let it it until dry.

I know it worked on jeans.

She would remove creases in my jeans when I wanted them to be cut off shorts instead
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 06:48 pm
Chai wrote:
I'm a nut about ironing...every morning, it's like I, I don't know, accomplished something.
You must be related to my wife!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does anyone here sew? I have a question.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 07:21:32