Do I have any privacy on a VPN?

webmind

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 07:07 am
I am using a school computer that I'm fairly sure is on a network that would be called a VPN. Even if it's not, here's my question. There is a setting in the "Services" folder that reads: "Terminal Services - Allows multiple users to connect interactively with a machine as well as the display of desktops and applications to remote computers. The underpinning of remote desktop (including RD for Administrators), Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance and Terminal Server." I do not have Administrator privileges. Does this mean what I think it means? Can the "Administrators" of this network actually view my desktop and watch everything I am typing? And can they intercept every email I send out? Thanks a million for clarification. Dan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 311 • Replies: 4
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 09:33 am
Yes, I would assume that an administrator could monitor your actions.

If it's not something they would approve of, do it on your own computer on your own network.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 10:28 am
If they were monitoring your PC using the Remote Desktop feature in Windows you would notice it. If you are logged onto the machine and someone tries to connect to your desktop you get a prompt asking if you give permission for the remote connection. (And none of this has anything to do with a VPN per se...)

But all of that is really fairly unimportatnt. They can read anything you send over the network anyway using much easier methods. When you are using someone else's network you should always be aware that someone other than yourself can be monitoring and, as Drewdad said, if it is something that they wouldn't approve - do it on your own machine on your own network.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 11:00 am
fishin wrote:
If they were monitoring your PC using the Remote Desktop feature in Windows you would notice it. If you are logged onto the machine and someone tries to connect to your desktop you get a prompt asking if you give permission for the remote connection. (And none of this has anything to do with a VPN per se...)

You can configure remote desktop not to ask for permission to view a remote session.
0 Replies

webmind

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 07:22 pm
Privacy on a Network
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I should have mentioned earlier that I am living in China. From what I hear from you all, extreme caution and self-censorship is the name of the game. Thanks again.
0 Replies