Girl, 16, Kicked Off Plane for Coughing

Reyn

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:17 pm
Quote:
Girl, 16, Kicked Off Plane for Coughing

Mar 30, 9:36 AM (ET)

HONOLULU (AP) - A 16-year-old girl who caught a cold during a school trip to New York was kicked off her flight home because she was coughing.

Rachel Collier was removed from the Continental Airlines plane as it was about to leave Newark, N.J., for Honolulu earlier this week. She had fallen asleep after boarding the plane with about three dozen classmates and woke up coughing and gasping for breath as it was about to take off.

"Everyone was looking at me," she said. "I couldn't talk because I lost my voice coughing so much. I was panicking."

The flight attendants gave her water, and a doctor on the flight said she would be OK to make the 10-hour flight. But the captain returned the aircraft to the gate to drop off the girl and one of her teachers.

Rachel said she started crying when the captain told her to leave. She and the teacher finally made it home the next day.

Teacher Maile Kawamura, a chaperone for the spring break trip to New York and Washington, D.C., said she was shocked. The two didn't know what to do or where to stay, she said. They finally found accommodations in New York and bought clothes and toiletries.

Continental said in a statement that Collier was coughing "uncontrollably" on the plane Tuesday and that "the captain felt he was acting in the best interest of the passenger and other passengers on the flight."

Rachel's mother, Stephanie Collier, said Continental has agreed to reimburse her daughter's expenses incurred during the extra day, including the cost of the hotel.

"I felt it was really extreme for a coughing fit," she said. "We've all had coughing fits."

This seems really stupid. In the other story I posted, "Airline Moves Dead Body to 1st Class", it was okay to put a dead body next to another passenger, but here they kick off a girl that has a bad coughing fit? Give me a break! Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 342 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:27 pm
When Continental heard that a passenger had died recently in flight, and that there was then a rather unpleasant backlash (not to mention odor); they realized they did not want this to happen to them. Better to keep the coughing kid off the plane than risk her kicking off in transit. The fact remains that she was coughing and having difficulty breathing which could have been the sign of something more serious. When the airlines tossed her off, she neglected to use the extra time they were handing her for sightseeing....see? They were actually being very thoughtful towards her Rolling Eyes .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:45 pm
If I had been a chaperone of a group of minors, one of whom was on a plane having a coughing fit and gasping for breath I most likely would have demanded that they return us to the gate.

Better safe than sorry.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:49 pm
I agree with boomer. It sounds like the girl was having a severe coughing fit. Being on the plane, in close quarters, might very well have posed a danger to the other passengers. I think that the airline did the right thing. I think that it was generous that the airline paid for her expenses.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Girl, 16, Kicked Off Plane for Coughing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 08:43:42