To Err is Human. To Correct is Divine?

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:14 pm
Confession!

I have been known to write in library books.....well, not exactly "write". I correct misprints, misspellings, even obvious gramatical errors very neatly in the margin of the text.

Am I the only editorially minded vandal in the universe?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,515 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Rae

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:18 pm
I've done that on occasion, too, Noddy. Embarrassed
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 01:08 am
oops...
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 01:08 am
I paint over the original endings of classics and rewrite it in the hopes that school kids across america will fail their term papers.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 01:49 am
I like to quietly and politely correct peoples grammar
when they are shouting very obnoxiously at me.

But a book? Never! The written word is far too sacred to
disrespect with correction and minor censorship.

BTW -- "grammatical" has two m's.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 01:56 am
eeeeeww!
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 01:56 am
Are you my mother-in-law, Noddy??? She does that -- and another truely lovable thing she does is tell waitresses about the spelling errors on menus. Sound familiar??? Smile heehee

Hey -- if you can help somebody out, why not, right?

I'm more like CB -- if someone is annoying me (and hopefully mispronounces something in the process) I'll gladly let them know. With books, I figure that either they'll know what the mis-spelled word should be, or they'll figure it out on their own.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 06:00 pm
LibertyD--

Once an English teacher, always an English teacher.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 06:32 pm
It makes me absolutely furious when I find corrections pencilled into library books. Absolutely furious.

If you want to write in a book, buy one.

It truly makes me see red.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 11:39 am
Clarification here--I don't correct grammar. If the grammar bothers me, I stop reading.

I correct typos--particularly the typos that spell check misses such as,
"Three hours of raid had left him very web."

If it is a new book, I usually drop a postcard to the publisher so the error can be corrected.

When possible, I erase other people's intrusive comments or corrections. There are some exceptions. I remember an indignant note on "red-headed" reminding the author that this gal had been blond back on pp. 34 and in her hectic life there had been no time for a dye job.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:14 pm
I err so often, I must be divine. c.i.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:31 pm
My mother was an English teacher, and I was brought up with such strong strictures against making marks in books, that in college I could not bring myself to underline important points in my text books. To this day cannot highlight books that I own for research. I'm afraid I'm with ehBeth.
0 Replies

elan

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:04 am
I correct people in forums, not books. I figured that if people are educated/learned enough to read them, they would spot the misprint Very Happy.
I am so glad to see that i'm not the only one who have such tendencies. People tend to wax nasty when corrected and i have no idea why. They like to wallow in bad grammar, weird sentence structures, limited vocabularly....
0 Replies