How to make a living from an online book?

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:23 am
I am posting to help an Indian friend of mine, who is, in my humble opinion, an extremely talented writer who combines fiction with history and sociology, anthropology, philosophy and who knows what else. He dabbles into comics, theatre (his last book was actually a theatre production of sorts where each chapter was acted out around the cafes of Mumbai). In any case, Rohit wants to do just this for living. He publishes all of his writing online, with free access to public and no advertising. He firmly believes in that.

Now, the tricky part is: how to make a living out of that? I have no experience with that sort of a thing, but I thought I could run it by the experts of a2k and someone may have some pointers.

This is Rohit' site, giving just a bit of taste for his writing. I hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting a link to his blog, as he has a button for voluntary donations there... but that's really not the point of this post. I just want to brainstorm ideas for him.

Synopsis of the REMIX REPUBLIC:

India is predicted by many as a rising star in the global village nightsky, but only one book describes the new zodiac. In the dark theatre of DJ Fadereu's mind, Google Earth and binary computation copulate with Hindu avatars and Vedic timekeeping, Neitzche necks with nadabrahma, and Baudrillard blows apart Bollywood.This cybernetic ride flickers uneasily through the vast landscape of Indian and Western techno-philosophy.

Meanwhile, the murder of reality is imminent. The media are converting each street into a studio, masses into extras, and life itself into the new movie. The dynamics of these phenomenon are mediated by a new logic of speed, and a new movement determines the games of territorial power. The present, the past and the future have become exceedingly intertwined in the instantaneous (and yet ancient) society we live in - we are the remixed republic. The state of siege now remains poised at the most dramatic point in our history since the Partition of 1947.

The world's oldest civilization, the author hopes, will rise to the challenge with befitting ingenuity....

And here is a link to the first chapter should you like to read more.

Any self-publishers with ideas around here? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,134 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:26 am
Podcasts, maybe? (No real ideas, but interested.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:33 am
He might need to have it driven home that he can't have it both ways. Keep it free (no advertising etc.) and don't make a living off of it, or monetize it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:40 am
Right. Donations are certainly not the way. Friends will only support you a little. It needs a grant or sales.... somehow.

Though he's been doing it for years now, with side jobs every now and then. I think he just wants to do only this from now.
0 Replies