Need Book Recommendations: Space, Cosmos, Astronomy etc

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 01:04 pm
I have decided to explore topics related to astronomy in the coming months.
I am particularly interested in the origin of universe and time. Could someone suggest some good books on the topic for a complete beginner?

Okay, may be a complete beginner, but I know there are 8 planets in the solar system. Smile

ETA: I was just going to begin reading A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking when a friend discouraged me saying it's too hypothetical. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 766 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 01:20 pm
Re: Need Book Recommendations: Space, Cosmos, Astronomy etc
spidergal wrote:
ETA: I was just going to begin reading A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking when a friend discouraged me saying it's too hypothetical. What do you think?

"To hypothetical"??? He does go into a few ideas in the book that are... "reaching" but that is more of an explaination of things that are being looked into. As a beginner book I'd highly recommend it. He covers all the basics and uses terms that someone without a degree in physics can understand. I don't know of a better "beginner" book out there right now.

It is a fairly short book. I'd recommending reading it and then deciding for yourself where to want to jump to in terms of further knowledge.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:48 pm
"The Matter Myth: Dramatic Discoveries That Challenge Our Understanding of Physical Reality"
by Paul Davies & John Gribbin.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:26 pm
Cosmos...Carl Sagan
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:12 pm
The Cartoon Guide to Physics by Larry Gonick - it's a great beginner book about physics.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:11 pm
Thanks for all the recommendations. I will check them all out!
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:26 pm
littlek wrote:
The Cartoon Guide to Physics by Larry Gonick - it's a great beginner book about physics.

I have that one too....love it.
0 Replies