Booker winner slates Potter books

frolic

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:31 am
Author AS Byatt has dismissed the Harry Potter books as being written for people whose imaginations are confined to the "worlds of soaps, reality TV and celebrity gossip".

The Booker Prize-winning author said Rowling's stories lacked the "seriousness" of great children's writers and questioned why adults were fanatical about her writing.

Many grown-up Harry Potter lovers turned to the books for comfort because they let them regress to childhood, she wrote.

But Byatt has reportedly been called a snob after her editorial column appeared in the New York Times on Monday.

Of the latest Harry Potter book, she wrote: "It is written for people whose imaginative lives are confined to TV cartoons, and the exaggerated (more exciting, not threatening) mirror-worlds of soaps, reality TV and celebrity gossip."

Children were attracted by the powerful fantasy and the stories were "comfortable, funny, just frightening enough", she wrote.

"But why would grown-up men and women become obsessed by jokey latency fantasies? Comfort, I think, is part of the reason."

She said childhood reading remained "potent" for most people because "we like to regress".

But fantasy novels by the likes of Susan Cooper, Alan Garner and Ursula K Le Guin contained "a real sense of mystery, powerful forces, dangerous creatures in dark forests".

"Ms Rowling's magic wood has nothing in common with these lost worlds. It is small, and on the school grounds, and dangerous only because she says it is," Byatt wrote.

"Ms Rowling, I think, speaks to an adult generation that hasn't known, and doesn't care about, mystery.

"They are inhabitants of urban jungles, not of the real wild. They don't have the skills to tell ersatz magic from the real thing, for as children they daily invested the ersatz with what imagination they had."

Quote:
Ms Rowling, I think, speaks to an adult generation that hasn't known, and doesn't care about, mystery
AS Byatt

The "multifarious genius" and "amazing sentences" of Terry Pratchett were offered as an alternative.
She concludes her review by saying there is "nothing wrong" with Harry Potter.

"But it has little to do with the shiver of awe we feel looking through Keats's 'magic casements, opening on the foam/Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn.'"

Byatt is one of the UK's most respected authors and won the prestigious Booker Prize in 1990 for Possession.

But, after her article appeared, she was reportedly described as a snob who may be jealous of Rowling's commercial success by US website Salon.

Rowling's publisher, Bloomsbury, was not available for comment.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/3055411.stm

Is she just jealous or does she have some ground to stand on?

IMHO, the succes of HP has more to do with merchandising than it has to do with the quality of the books. But that doesn't make them bad books. I must admit i've never read a HP-book.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,838 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:51 am
I read Byatt's essay, then the letters in the NY Times in response, mostly attacking her for being a snob. Here's what I think, and I haven't read any Potter: There's nothing wrong with adults who read kiddy lit, though I do agree that it's an escape from adult concerns.

But hell, at least it's reading. It's not as if people are wavering between Potter and James Joyce, I don't think. And Tolkein, who Byatt admires, still has plenty of readers...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:54 am
sour grapes and sheer jealousy!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:59 am
Not sure I agree, Viv. It's not as if Byatt and Rowling are trolling for the same readers!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 11:14 am
A.S> Byatt slates Harry Potter
I disagree with Byatt. I don't often watch TV, I never watch soaps or "reality" shows, and I find that the Harry Potter books can be as dark, threatening, mysterious, as any books I've read - and I read enormously.

Perhaps the mystery and darkness are all the more effective because of the ordinariness of the basic English boarding school setting.

I haven't started the latest - delayed gratification has its charms - but I'm greatly looking forward to it. I don't see HP as "kiddy lit" just because it was written for young people. "The Wind in the Willows" was written for a child, but many grownups read it and read it again, and not merely to remind themselves of the days of their childhood, either.

As far as style goes, the HP books are well-written, and they are certainly very carefully researched. The amount of time and effort Rowland must have put into delving into mythology and magic cannot have been less than prodigious.

And for those who look for meaning in every little word of a story - there's plenty in the series, on a variety of levels.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:30 am
D'artagnan wrote:
Not sure I agree, Viv. It's not as if Byatt and Rowling are trolling for the same readers!

no but JK Rowling is a multi millionaire because the books took off (something she certainly hadn't expected when writing them in corner cafe's) - how much does Byatt make? that's what I think the sour grapes are about

and Tom Kitten (loooove the avatar!) I agree with all you say - the latest book is very good - Harry is getting stroppier (teenager Twisted Evil ) and it is much darker - you'll enjoy it
0 Replies

Sinkerhawk

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:41 am
It's not really the mystery that draws me into the Potter books, it's the universal themes of friendship, sacrifice, ect. that I've touched on before in other threads that fascinate me. Rowling has a gift for bringing characters to life and enabling readers to care about them deeply. I am interested in what events the author has in mind for these characters.

The Potter story is not groundbreaking. The writing is not spectacular. The mystery is not all that mesmerizing. I think what the reviewer is missing is the connection to the Potter characters that most other people have been able to achieve. If you don't make this connection, I can see how you might not be impressed with this series of books. I don't find fault in that, but I do think she is being a bit too hard on the people that like the books for that reason.

I personally think it's sad that she doesn't have the capability and the emotional character to associate with and empathize for Harry Potter and this fictional friends. To me, it demonstrates a certain lack of imagination. Of course, that's only my opinion.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 11:03 am
Booker prizewinner slates Harry Potter
Sinkerhawk has a good point, I think. There is a reader's empathy with the characters that Rowland has achieved - not easy to do, either. The characters are real, and have familiar feelings and reactions. We can imagine ourselves as Harry or the other students at Hogwarts. Even Malfoy and his crew are, if exaggerated, human. At least I hope they are exaggerated in their personification of evil, though one does wonder these days...
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 11:28 am
Frolic,
Was struck by "slates" in your subject line. Not familiar with this usage. Does it mean disapproves?

Don't think the response was out of jealousy. I think as I wrote on Jespah's H.P. topic that the books are fat but the writings thin. I am very fond of "Children's Lit", and also enjoy horror and fantasy. IMHO Rowling's writing is not on a level with Travers, E.B.White, C.S.Lewis, Tolkien, LeGuin, McCaffrey (early Dragon books) and dare I say King. When I read and in many cases reread these authors, I can suspend disbelief, with Rowling I can't.

Will try to find some examples from some of the above to illustrate what I mean.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 11:43 am
to slate: (British English)= criticize severely
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 01:39 pm
Frolic, Thank you for the definition.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 03:19 pm
[quote="IMHO Rowling's writing is not on a level with Travers, E.B.White, C.S.Lewis, Tolkien, LeGuin, McCaffrey (early Dragon books) and dare I say King. When I read and in many cases reread these authors, I can suspend disbelief, with Rowling I can't.
quote]

King ???? Stephen King???? now there is a lousy writer! sorry but i really cannot see any quality of writing or imagination or depth in his books.
0 Replies

Sinkerhawk

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 07:28 pm
Well, I read King for the concepts and plots, not to mention his wickedly evil sense of humor. He's a master at telling a story and know when to jump up and scream "BOO!" I've always found his work fun. And I think that's the key here. What is fun for you as an individual may not be for someone else. Sometimes I don't read for fun at all, but for the mental aspect, the desire to learn.

For instance, I read HP in a little over a day. I've been working on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead for going on a month now and I'm only half way finished. I really like both books. The difference is that Rowling's book was fun and I ate it up. Rand's book is mental and while I enjoy the writing and the story, I don't alway find myself wanting to jump back into it. It can be tiresome and dull at times.

I guess it's the difference between driving a go-cart and driving and Oldsmobile. The go-cart is great fun and you don't want to stop, but it doesn't really get you anywhere. An Oldsmobile will take you anywhere you want to go, but it can get really boring after awhile. Neither of these things are bad or immature, it's just what people like. Personally, I like a little of both.

I don't think it's fair to trash someone else's choices or call them immature or stuck up because of what they enjoy. Everyone's different and I'm glad of it. Otherwise, there wouldn't be enough HP books to go around. Very Happy
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:24 pm
Sinkerhawk, Love your avatar, but in this context it is reminding me most disturbingly of Church, Pet Sematary. Absolutely agree that each of us has different tastes at different times. That's what makes "horseracing".

Vivien, We'll agree to disagree re King. I think his novels, novellas, and short stories deal with the great themes of good vs evil, the hopes and fears of our time, the horror of the supernatural, the horrors of human/inhuman nature.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 06:47 am
Very Happy mmmm - i think we definitely have to agree to disagree on this one! never mind - each to their own ...

I quite agree about different types of reading - i love authors like
Dorothy Dunnet - definitely not possible to rattle this off in not much over a day - which i did too with Harry Potter.

I don't think anyone is trying to say it is high intellectual fiction - just a really enjoyable read.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 11:00 am
Booker winner slates...
I was interested to see mention of PL Travers and EB White. Has any here read the old E Nesbit books - "The Five Children and It", etc? Not too many children's books reach Nesbit's standard today. But these were written for a much more reading public in a much more reading time, I guess.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 06:42 pm
yes i read those as a child - Beatrix Potter too! love your avatar!
0 Replies