I coulda been a concierge

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:46 pm
I was watching that goofy TV show over the weekend, "Dirty Jobs", the one where it shows a guy taking on jobs others make a living at, but have a big "yuck" factor (like cleaning emu crap or fixing septic tanks).

You gotta respect someone who does that for a job, really.

Anyway, I was watching because I was simultaneously hand sewing a fitted seam in a new pair of pants. I got to thinking that a lot of people would find what I was doing boring, but I really don't mind it. It can be relaxing, and it's nice to do a job right.

Anyway, I started thinking about all the things around where I live that people, especially young professionals, would be willing to pay good money for someone else to take the drudgery away from them. I googled around and saw the concierge services look like a hot item right now. I'm thinking…I'd be good at that, running errands, making things "happen", and started musing about a business plan.

Not right now, but maybe in a year and a half or so….for various reasons I won't go into here..
Right now I'm going to remain employed full time, and this isn't the type of thing you could do after hours (especially if you want a good home life yourself)

Then….I started thinking how many people have told me how good I am with money, like how to make the most of it, rebating/couponing, juggling money to keep out of debt without paying interest, etc, etc. I've shared things with a lot of intelligent people who said, "I never knew about that! How did you figure that out?"

Anyway, I know I could teach anyone how to do this. I'd have no problem coming up with a program, giving someone the information and an actual hands on kit to use to organize themselves, and significantly cut down on their daily expenses.

I wouldn't want a site of my own, I don't that the time to maintain one and market myself to other sites to put links to me on it……Just something simple where people could see my ad and purchase my program, and have me mail it to them.

I looked at craigslist to see if that would be a good place to post, but that didn't seem promising.

I like the idea of a bulletin board type site, like craigslist though. If enough people see it, I'll get a response. I'm not looking to make a lot of money, but this experience may come in handy down the line.

Does anyone know of sites, on line bulletin boards, that would be more appropriate for an idea like this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,253 • Replies: 18
No top replies

timberbranch

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 08:23 pm
Take a look at what this company is doing ...

http://mybusinessanalyst.com

I'm not exactly sure which avenue your leaning towards, but they seem to have a few routes. I found this page by searching "business plan," this being the first on the list.

Good Luck !

T
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 08:30 pm
Timber-b. Ya gotta let her go on, she just whines like this every so often and scares the kids. Shes harmless.
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 09:00 pm
It difficult to detect sincerity ... I guess I just hafta learn the hard way.

Dooly Notid, thanks Farm.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 09:07 pm
Its what I do. (My work here is done)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 07:15 am
farmerman wrote:
Timber-b. Ya gotta let her go on, she just whines like this every so often and scares the kids. Shes harmless.

Huh?

I'll just let you know smarty farty, that I am in the process of starting something out.

I learned I can get a site and links and everything under conditions I can manage.

Right now I am working on some background stuff, but will be learning how to develope a site soon.

No tearing rush, but it's getting done.

so poop on you farmerman.

timberbranch, welcome, just read your profile, words can't say....

So, you're an Austinite too?
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 07:39 am
Been down here since '95. Finally settled at 78749. I'm inside the triangle formed by Mopac, Wm Cannon, & 290.

You?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 07:47 am
Concierge? that one of them new fangled door holder openers?

What would you wanna be a door holder opener for chai?

g'day timberbranch, pleased to meet ya!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 07:54 am
I've a feeling it's some sort of "con."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 08:10 am
timberbranch wrote:
Been down here since '95. Finally settled at 78749. I'm inside the triangle formed by Mopac, Wm Cannon, & 290.

You?

oh, I'm between lamar and bluebonnet, a block from zilker elementary school.

drew dad suspects everything, he won't tell anyone whereabouts he lives, and he insists I have a pick-up truck on blocks in front of my house.

I do not, it's just a bunch of old tractor tires.

dadpad, the concierge thing would have to wait until I'm not working full time. They make good money. The thing is getting a client base, and I don't have the time for that right now.
0 Replies

timberbranch

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 09:46 am
You're near FORD street ... I have a friend who owns a duplex over there. I do frequent that Kwik-E-Mart next to the laundry mat when I take my dog to the springs.

DadPad, you a finger picker? How do you tune the G string up to a P?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 10:06 am
Chai, bulletin boards are a good idea, but as a supplement, methinks. I think you still should have your own website, no matter how simple. (I'd be happy to help with the design, I just got a new Dreamweaver - program for designing websites, and love playing around). Then you'd of course need to figure out how to get hits on that website, so that it comes up in google search.
Might be a bit of work, but in today's world it's inevitable, I think.
Woman I know runs a sort of a tour company/events organizing business. Check out her website - it's very simple and she gets her business that way. She has a printable version available there, which is also a good idea.
Perhaps that can wait until you set everything up and start in a smaller way, but ultimately, down the line, you'll be wanting a website one day.
It's a great idea for a self-run business though.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 11:04 am
timberbranch wrote:
You're near FORD street ... I have a friend who owns a duplex over there. I do frequent that Kwik-E-Mart next to the laundry mat when I take my dog to the springs.

DadPad, you a finger picker? How do you tune the G string up to a P?

I'm a block away from Ford, on Hether.

Ha, that "Kwik-E-Mart"?

I don't know anyone who calls it that. It's more like "I gotta go down to Abas's to get lotto tickets.

When I first moved here in 1991, everyone called it "Mo's", I moved away, came back, and kept calling it Mo's...my husband, who'd never known Mo, mentioned it to Abas when he went in there. Abas said "oh, that's my brother-in-law (or some relative), he sold it to me. Now Mo just owns the laundramat."

When things were bad right after 911, the newspaper did an article about them, and I never realized how much they were loved in the neighborhood. Neighbors were saying things like "We tell our kids that if anything ever happens when we're not home, run to Abas's" Abas's family was saying they'd had several people tell them that they could come stay with them if anyone gave them any trouble....no one did. Smile

Oh dag...I'm working on the other idea little by slowly right now, yeah, I know I'll have to have a website.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 11:09 am
Chai wrote:
so poop on you farmerman.

(don't think that he'd mind, seein' as how the stuff is fertilizer and all...)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 11:36 am
Farmerman...Scarecrow...Homespun Philosopher...Backwoods Raconteur...Man Who Maketh Mischief...
0 Replies

ai

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 02:21 am
Chai wrote:

Oh dag...I'm working on the other idea little by slowly right now, yeah, I know I'll have to have a website.

I surel can help you with that ..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 06:33 am
chai has tractor parts in her yard

dont let her fool you

I think i saw a kkk outfit hidden under her couch too.
Grand master poooo-bah ..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 06:56 am
Them Austin-ites has all the fun.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:24 am
shewolfnm wrote:
chai has tractor parts in her yard

dont let her fool you

I think i saw a kkk outfit hidden under her couch too.
Grand master poooo-bah ..

You forgot to mention the 2 white slaves Mr. Tea had diggin in the front yard.

Ya notice how they kept their heads down and respectful like while us wimmen folk was around?
0 Replies