Airline Moves Dead Body to 1st Class

Reyn

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:22 pm
Quote:
Airline Moves Dead Body to 1st Class

Mar 19, 1:01 PM (ET)

By JENNIFER QUINN

LONDON (AP) - A first-class passenger on a flight from Delhi to London awoke find the corpse of a woman who had died in the economy cabin being placed in a seat next to him, British Airways said Monday.

The economy section of the flight was full, and the cabin crew needed to move the woman and her grieving family out of that compartment to give them some privacy, the airline said.

The first-class passenger, Paul Trinder, told the Sunday Times newspaper that he was sleeping during a February flight from India and woke up when the crew placed the dead woman in an empty seat near him.

"I didn't have a clue what was going on. The stewards just plonked the body down without saying a thing. I remember looking at this frail, sparrow-like woman and thinking she was very ill," the newspaper quoted Trinder as saying. "When I asked what was going on, I was shocked to hear she was dead."

British Airways said in a statement that about 10 passengers die each year in flight and that while each situation is dealt with on an individual basis, safety is paramount.

"The deceased must not be placed in the galley or blocking aisles or exits, and there should be clear space around the deceased," the statement said. "The wishes of family or friends traveling with the deceased will always be considered, and account taken of the reactions of other passengers."

Because there was space in the first class cabin, that "allowed the family members traveling with the deceased some level of privacy in their grief," the airline said.

"We apologize to passengers in the first cabin who were distressed by the situation - our cabin crew were working in difficult circumstances and chose the option that they believed would cause the least disruption," the statement said.

David Learmount, a former pilot and cabin crew member who now writes about the aviation industry for Flight International magazine, said that each airline has to deal with the relatively rare situation on an individual basis. He said that diverting the flight would be an unusual move, and that the captain would be consulted before the crew acted.

"Personally, I think they did the thing that was the best thing to do," he said. "Really, you want as much as possible to isolate the person.

"It's an isolated incident. It's not as if it happens every day, but you do have to take in people's sensibilities when it does happen."

This seems almost too bizarre to be believed! Don't airlines have other possibilities other than propping dead bodies into seats next to living folks? Shocked

It doesn't say whether or not the deceased was covered up or not.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 822 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:24 pm
It's one way to get an upgrade, I guess.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:27 pm
Shocked February from Delhi to London? That could have been me! Then again, I wouldn't be in the first class, thankgod.

If anybody ever considers plopping a dead body next to me while I'm sleeping, would you do me a favor and tap on my shoulder and let me know what's going on, just so that i don't turn into another dead body myslef due to shock? thanks.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:23 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
[...] If anybody ever considers plopping a dead body next to me while I'm sleeping, would you do me a favor and tap on my shoulder and let me know what's going on, just so that i don't turn into another dead body myslef due to shock? thanks.

Yes, indeed! You think that would have been considerate on the part of the airlines, eh?

Does anyone think that the body was left uncovered?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:34 pm
Uh. Excuse me!

If it had been your mother how would you have wanted her body treated?

I can understand that the passenger might have been upset but consider what was happening. I think the airline handled it very well. I'm willing to bet that the upset flyer even got a free ticket out of the event.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:59 pm
Perhaps the sleeping passenger should have been awakened and given the option of changing seats so that one of the grieving family members could sit next to the Dear Departed?

I'd guess that the cabin crew were young and fit and had little experience with death at any distance, let alone dealing with the realities of a corpse in flight.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 04:05 pm
I had never even considered this happening. About 10 passengers a year is like one a month! That actually seems kinda high, and that's just one airline?

Yeah, please ask me to move before putting a deceased person next to me. I promise I'll move without complaint. That's not too much to ask.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 04:40 pm
Reyn wrote:

Does anyone think that the body was left uncovered?

This seems to indicate that it/she wasn't covered:

Quote:
"I didn't have a clue what was going on. The stewards just plonked the body down without saying a thing. I remember looking at this frail, sparrow-like woman and thinking she was very ill," the newspaper quoted Trinder as saying. "When I asked what was going on, I was shocked to hear she was dead."

Perhaps they covered her afterwards, but seems like at least she was uncovered for a while.

I agree that it makes sense to treat the body with respect, but seems like there could have at least been some warning for the guy, if there weren't any empty seats for him to go to (and that he could've been offered an empty seat first if there were -- at the very least, he may have preferred the one she vacated, next to living people).
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 04:50 pm
There had to have been other empty seats since her grieving fellow travelers followed her to first class, right? Everyone has ro be seated.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 04:53 pm
boomerang wrote:
Uh. Excuse me!

If it had been your mother how would you have wanted her body treated?

I can understand that the passenger might have been upset but consider what was happening. I think the airline handled it very well. I'm willing to bet that the upset flyer even got a free ticket out of the event.

A free ticket and a great story.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 09:58 am
It seems to me the underlying problem here is that the airline had no contingency plan for such an event as someone dying. I think a small separate room should be available for such emergencies. Surely folks get sick on airlines and may need to be isolated or may need to lie down, etc.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 10:16 am
I think it's terrible that the airline didn't wake the man and just put a dead body next to him.

They should have woke him and explained the situation, offering her seat to him. Not to mention, why did they feel she had to be moved if they were just moving her into another seat with a living body next to it? Why not just leave her where she was? It's not like there is much privacy in first class either.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 10:27 am
where else should they put the body??? in the bathroom??

I think they did what they should have done, and it was appropriate.

What do people expect when you are over water , or miles away from an airport and someone dies.
For the family to just shut up and deal with it?
For thebody to be shoved into a suitcase so others dont have to " look at it" as if death is some kind of a communicable disease?

there is no room on a plane other then the seat you pay for. Sadly.

I too think there should be a small room some where for everyone to use if anything happens. but that would mean reconstruction of thousands of planes and that wont happen.

I do think they should have told the guy what they were planning on doing though. THAT is a bit inconsiderate..

What if he would have offered his seat all together so that the family could have the entire ROW for privacy???
Talk about a solution right there. Rolling Eyes Poor guy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 10:43 am
A drop shute to the baggage compartment?

Planes come in different sizes. The puddle jumpers I took in some parts of California not very long ago were small prop planes, for example. I can imagine an Airbus having a small room, but then, what about the family? My only complaint about this example of the situation is their not waking the adjacent passenger up, and the apparent failure to cover the corpse with a blanket.
0 Replies

malek

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 10:47 am
This just proves my theory that I'd have to die before I actually got upgraded.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 12:38 pm
Quote:
The deceased must not be placed in the galley

I'm afraid we're all out of the fish, but as long as you don't require a kosher meal....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:34 pm
malek wrote:
This just proves my theory that I'd have to die before I actually got upgraded.

Bingo!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Airline Moves Dead Body to 1st Class
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 06:29:11