Favorite bookmarks?

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:59 am
This isn't an earth-shaking question, but it's summertime...

Do you, dear reader, hold onto favorite bookmarks in a special place, then choose a particular one for a book you're just starting to read? I keep bookmarks I like from book stores I've been to, especially when I'm out of town. Am I uniquely nerdy in this regard?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,375 • Replies: 55
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:35 pm
For most books, I use six bookmarks: pink, orange, yellow, green, blue and white. I'm a naturally contemplative (slothful) woman and the different colored book marks command me to get up every chapter (or every fifty pages, whichever comes first) and DO SOMETHING constructive.

After all, the inactivity and restricted space of economy class airline seats have been implicated in strokes. I can sit in one chair in my living room and read for hours.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:43 pm
Shocked wow! all this organisation! I tend to grab a piece of paper/old envelope whatever! no fancy bookmarks at all Sad

Mmm - i can curl up for hours and read - but don't want any reminders to stop me! I like it Very Happy even if i should get up and go for a brisk walk
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:46 pm
Ticket stubs. Many of my books have ticket stubs in them. I often relive good aural memories when I'm tidying up books.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:47 pm
Don't even use the things. I just dog-ear the pages.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:48 pm
Shocked

what kind of animal are you?!?!

oh. i see.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:55 pm
I usually use the library receipt which helpfully tells me when the book is due as well! Very Happy

Or I just memorize what page I'm on as I put down the book...

But I can't dogear the pages! Too many strict teachers in school, I guess.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 03:38 pm
No dog-earing for me, either (no offense, patiodog). I mostly use bookmarks I've accumulated over the years--some are almost ancient by now--though I can't claim there's much of a system. I admire your color coding, Noddy!
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 06:06 pm
At home, I usually place the open book "face" down. Away from home, a coin works.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 06:59 pm
My favourite bookmark was one my Mom gave me years and years ago. It is ratty, taped and well loved. My newest bookmark is one that has my son's picture on it ~ the local studio that does our county's class pictures has come out with a new line of 'stuff' for us parents to buy. Which ex-hubby and I did. But, this new bookmark has been laminated professionally.....I'm looking forward to having it hold my place in a book for many, many years.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:52 pm
I just got a new one from the Seattle Public Library. It has info on subjects in the 400 range of the Dewey Decimal System (books on language). It's colorful and laminated and has an illustration of the new downtown library, now being constructed. It's a keeper!
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 02:10 pm
I sometimes use file cards. Not glamorous, but a handy place to write notes or mark down pages with quotes or passages I may wish to review or keep.

I have enough dog ears already.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 02:36 pm
patiodog wrote:
Don't even use the things. I just dog-ear the pages.

Two things i hate:

Dog-ears (in Flemish we call them Donkey-ears)
A book with a broken back.

I often give my books to friends so they can absorb some culture too Razz But when they bring back my book with dog-ears or a broken back. They are on my blacklist, forever!!!

To answer the question: I use whatever is in my reach. I always got some piece of paper in my wallet. Sometimes i just remember the page.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 02:55 pm
frolic wrote:
Dog-ears (in Flemish we call them Donkey-ears)
A book with a broken back.

I often give my books to friends so they can absorb some culture too Razz But when they bring back my book with dog-ears or a broken back. They are on my blacklist, forever!!!

Sometimes i just remember the page.

Same name in German - and I HATE "Eselsohren"!

I sometimes remember the site as well.

Unfortunately, I then forget, what book it was.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:10 pm
Grayfan wrote:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sometimes use file cards. Not glamorous, but a handy place to write notes or mark down pages with quotes or passages I may wish to review or keep.

Next to every reading chair I have a little dish of paper clips and when I want to mark a page or a passage, I paper clip the page. Paper clips are also useful for marking pages with maps or critical footnotes or lists of specialized vocabulary.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:21 pm
Yes, Noddy, but paper clips bend the pages. As do dog ears (or donkey ears). This thread reveals an interesting division between those who try to leave the book unmarked and those who have gotten over that taboo...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:26 pm
I'm horrible about breaking the backs of books ~ if it's hardcover, I break it in. A well-read book should be easy to turn pages. But, with paperback books, I bend them while reading, and then wrap them in a rubberband to try and stop them from 'expanding'. Seems to work.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:30 pm
I'm in the "anything that works" category when it's a book I'm reading through and not expecting to take notes or whatever, and Post-its when I want to go back methodically... Quasi-semi-occasionally organized maybe but mostly a slob.

If you went into my LR right now and (every table having piles of books on it) looked around at the books, pretty much every one has little yellow Post-its sticking out. Not a decorator's dream...

I like the idea of laminating photos... a lot!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:33 pm
Tartarin ~ can't tell you how many books I still have with post-it notes scattered throughout.....
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 04:28 pm
My favorite bookmarks I should have mentioned. They were given out by an Austin bookstore during one "poetry month." They were regulation bookmark shapes each with a short, famous poem. Loved that, favorite (which I still have) being "We real cool".
0 Replies