I've never been Irish

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:00 pm
15/16th irish here, the remaining 16th welsh.

So nice to see PDiddie! And thank you for the link to McBeans' blog, I'd lost track of it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 01:25 pm
Irish--but Scots-Irish.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 02:00 pm
Sono italiano, ma mi piace scopare le belle donne irlandese.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 02:10 pm
ossobuco wrote:
So nice to see PDiddie! And thank you for the link to McBeans' blog, I'd lost track of it.

Hello, lady lamb. We still have fond memories of our visit with you in San Francisco some years ago. You're in that Southwestern town now and no longer NoCal, is that right?

For the life of me I cannot recall what she called herself here; it wasn't McBeans, it was something that started with a 't', it seems.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 02:19 pm
mostly Irish, part English, part Scotch, part soda. I claim mostly and Irish heritage even though I trace my family to England as early as the 17th. century, but Quinney is an anglasized version of Conn... one of the largest Irish clans.

My mother and grandmother were born in Scotland.My grandfather was a Newfie but originally from Irish blood I'm told.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 02:24 pm
PDiddie -- Holá, amigo! You've been absent from these here threads quite a while. Welcome home.

Walter -- the problem with the visibility of the German-Americans is that you haven't got a cool patron saint like Padruig.

Dys -- Slainté! Only thing that makes me Irish is by injection: I've had that stuff spelled with an 'e' in me belly many a time. (Come to think of it, as I've known a number of colleens, it's by reverse injection as well.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 02:25 pm
My father's side of the family is confusing. I belive that patrilineage is mostly scottish, but there is some mixing there. My father's mother has some german as well as english. I hope we get a tree drawn up in the next few years......
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 02:25 pm
I am about a quarter Irish. But, I celebrate St. Patrick's day as a day for all Immigrants.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 02:41 pm
PD, her username here was Tartarin.

Yep, living in Albuquerque now.

I have fond memories of that SF gathering too, had a wonderful time.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 04:13 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
...My grandfather was a Newfie but originally from Irish blood I'm told.

My grandmother also. In Boston that's called "two-boat Irish".
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 04:31 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
PDiddie -- Holá, amigo! You've been absent from these here threads quite a while. Welcome home.

Happy St. Patty's, Andy.

Everyone else: When we visited Boston not too long back we had a nice Irish bar rendezvous with littlek, dagmaraka and others -- George, were you there? -- and later met MA along the Freedom Trail and tried to take a cemetery tour (but it was closed).

These New Englanders are as fine a bunch of people as you would ever hope to meet. That includes dyslexia (who isn't from Boston).
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 04:37 pm
No, at the last minute I wasn't able to make it.
Hopefully I wouldn't have changed your opinion about us.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 04:38 pm
I'll find that out in June.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 04:39 pm
Heh-heh-heh!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 04:47 pm
0% irish... although i've been told i "look irish".

we live in a quasi-irish neighborhood.
the grocery down the street sells irish chocolates and what-not...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 04:49 pm
... and i wear the green every day of the year Mr. Green
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 04:56 pm
I'm so Scottish, my wizz smells like peat moss....hmmm...maybe I should seek medical help.

Today is one of those days when you can get by with this....without being slapped.

Do you have any Irish in you.

No.

Would you like some.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 06:39 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

Happy St. Patty's, Andy.

Everyone else: When we visited Boston not too long back we had a nice Irish bar rendezvous with littlek, dagmaraka and others -- George, were you there? -- and later met MA along the Freedom Trail and tried to take a cemetery tour (but it was closed).

These New Englanders are as fine a bunch of people as you would ever hope to meet. That includes dyslexia (who isn't from Boston).

I thought we met that time in the German restaurant/bar...... either way, it was a damn fine time.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 09:24 pm
Li'lK's memory is better some other people's (who shall remain nameless). As I recall y'all had dinner at Jacob Wirth's (or Jakey's as we locals call it) and I wasn't able to make it because it was a Friday night and I had another commitment. Jacob Wirth's has been doing business as a Deutsches Gesellschaft since the 1890s at the same location and I have it on good authority that even during Prohibition you could get real beer there (and probably schnapps as well) if you knew the waiters. (This information, btw, from an old-timer, now deceased, who used to work as a waiter there during Prohibition. By a further way, he happened to be Irish, not German.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 09:48 pm
PDiddie wrote:
I read this on McBeans' blogthis morning:

Quote:
I was told I'm descended, in part, from members of the Orange Order. Not a thread of green worn on St. Patrick's day. Nope. A William of Orange loyalist. Protestant. Northerner.

I can still sing the song, but the lyrics are mostly gone.

Wilhelmus van Oranje
ben ik, van Duitsen bloed,
den vaderland getrouwe
blijf ik tot in den dood.
Een Prinse van Oranje
ben ik, vrij onverveerd,
den Koning van Hispanje
heb ik altijd geeerd.

Take that, you greenies!

Note that the second line says, "I am, of German blood"; and the seventh and eighth line, "the King of Spain / I have always honored".

Kind of just to confuse the issue even more.

(Yes, both of those lines are really in the Dutch national anthem, which the above song is. Kind of relativates things..)

(So come to think of it, you have Northern Irish singing the Dutch national anthem expressing German blood origin and fealty to the Spanish king. Viva la Unidad Europea! Or, err, something.)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/30/2024 at 09:40:07