Unsolicited submissions.

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:34 pm
Do major companies ever take unsolicted submissions seriously?

I have a cool idea for a photo (I'm a pretty good photographer) and campaign for a major company that I think they would like. From a consumer standpoint I think it is very, very good.

In the past I have submitted ideas that I thought were really good to big brands (I suggested Nestle include a 3/4 measuring cup with their chips for a holiday promotion - an idea I still think is great from a consumer standpoint) before (there were other ideas to other companies too) but I never received a response.

I'm not sure if I even want to go through the trouble of taking the photo and sending it to them if there is no chance they'll take it at all serious.

What's the deal? Do they even look? Who should an idea be directed to? Is there a proper way to submit it? I'm not really looking for money out of it - I just think it's kind of fun.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 868 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:38 pm
I had an idea once for a certain kind of travel book store that I wrote a letter about to Borders and I got a letter back with at least some interest from someone fairly high up, but then... as I remember it, the person changed jobs. I forget the details now, or even if I spoke with whoever it was eventually by phone (think so) but they didn't just shine me on immediately. (Their loss, in any case).
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:52 pm
Try emailing them with the concept. Search for their website, and go from there.

I emailed about a hundred companies with a concept for an e-learning package, and the replies resulted in me being part of the development team as an advisor, content writer, and photographer.

It was pretty cool. Got a couple of interstate flights out of it too.

Give it a whirl. :wink:
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 08:39 pm
Isn't that the kind of thing handled by their advertising company? You'd probably need to do some research to find out who their promotional person is and make sure you are sending the idea to the right person.

But, by all means go for it. What can it hurt?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 08:34 am
Wow osso and Builder! It encourages me to know that it is possible to get a reply.

Usually I take a nothing ventured, nothing gained approach to submitting something but this time it will take a little more effort than just thinking it up -- finding the right location, waiting for the right weather, getting the people there at that time, etc.

I worked in advertising for a pretty big company who used an agency to create the ads. I think that person would be the one I would need to find since they are the one that directs the agency.

You're right, squinney - what can it hurt? At the very least I'd end up with a great photo for my own pleasure!

Thank you all for the encouragement!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:37 am
I once emailed UAL as I used to fly with them more than any other airline suggesting the offer (with a fee), carseats for children on the plane. It is usually a pain in the a$$ to lug the damn seat with you through the airport. Granted it isn't required, but safety should be more important - never heard back.

I also emailed Annie's about their packaging with their new cracker products - stating that their package rips too easily so you need to put the product in a plastic bag to keep fresh (knowing they are concerned about the environment thus the cheap bag). They did respond saying they would forward to their packaging area.

On a tanning product, I also emailed explaining that I always use their product as it is one of the few with the recommended ingredients per my doctor for young children - the tanning lotion unfortunately clears off the expiration date when it spills on the container. They also wrote back saying they will forward to a certain area with some great coupons too.

I figure it can't hurt and if you like a particular product or company and can think of some improvements, what the h*ck you may get what you want.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 11:58 am
Don't know if my comment send to Annie's had an influence or not - but they did change the inner packaging on the most recent box of bunny crackers I purchased. It doesn't come apart like previously - much stronger.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:36 am
The link is to the e-learning tool that I proposed in my original emails.

http://toolboxes.flexiblelearning.net.au/series5/517.htm

Not sure how it panned out, because I left that company before completion of the project.

The concept was for an easily customisable learning aid, whereby teachers could replace content with local dialects, and swap pictures with those of local people.

Those pics on the cover are my work. Peter Idai is on the levelling, and Rossie Campbell is on the drill. Both former students of mine. :wink:
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 05:47 pm
Linkat -- the car seat deal, I learned, is because of insurance issues. I looked into a kind of jet-set-baby sort of thing and found that most companies do not want to rent anything baby related because of insurance issues.

That's cool about Annies! I emailed my favorite store cookie company when they changed their package from a simple paper bag to a plastic bin, wrapped in plastic, inside a box, wrapped in plastic. I'm not a real earth mother but I despise over packaging (the same goes for shoddy packaging) and I do stop buying products based on their packaging.

Thank you for the link, Builder, that sounds like a cool idea. I'm going to check it out.....
0 Replies