plz help with email headers

aimless

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:38 pm
Hello , im a newbie on this forum , hope im posting in the right section for my question regarding email headers.
I've been receiving personal emails , supposedly from two different people, from different locations, from 3 email addresses ( 2 hotmail 1 yahoo ) , both in the US , one in California , the other in Mississippi , actually one of the emails was supposedly sent from the Middle East, namely Iraq !
Recent events made me wonder about the person's backround and truthfulness , so i looked at the " email headers " i've compared the details of all 3 ...
the " From " IP address is identical in all 3 emails.
Can an email sent from Iraq have the same IP as one sent from the US ?
Does this mean what i think it means?
That i have been made to believe that im corresponding with 2 different persons, when in fact someone has played "tricks" on me ?
I think i know that the answer is " YES " but would like to be sure!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 196 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:57 pm
First, you should never trust email headers. They are very easy to fake. If someone knows what they are doing, they can fake them undetectably-- meaning if you are being tricked, they aren't even very good.

However, you mention hotmail, and yahoo both of which I believe are web based mails. I don't know exactly what ip address these services are using. It is possible that the two IP adreesses are the same simply because they arel from the same web service.

Someone in Iraq may be sending mail using yahoo or hotmail over the internet from servers in the US, in which case there would be no indication where he happened to be typing the email. This is the miracle of the internet.

But the fact that all three are the same... supposedly from three different public mail services (which are easy to fake) would make me suspicious too.

Unfortunately with email, it is often very difficult to tell.
0 Replies

aimless

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:48 pm
thanks for the reply !
Oh yes i know how easy it is to fake addresses etc.. or almost anything on the internet ( one would have to be blind and extremely naive not to be aware of this) but, two major email providers like hotmail and yahoo would not be using the same IP for sure, and anyway the IP address im talking about is the " x- originating IP " . I did a search on this address at "Whois" it comes up as " fl.comcast.net" .. Any suggestions where to go from here ?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 06:05 am
Someone you have interacted with over the internet is probably tricking you.

I don't know the nature of your reletionship with these "people" are... but everyone lies on the internet. I may seem like a nice guy... what you don't know is that in real life I am ... (oh never mind).

i would just drop it-- not answer any more of these emails.
0 Replies

aimless

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:11 pm
i agree with not knowing for 100% who is behind a name etc, but not with the comment that" everyone lies" , i will not divulge all about me to everyone on the internet , but thats not lying, its just being sensible.
i figured that in spite of the fact that , email accounts can be stolen , copied etc, but the IP No wouldnt be so easy to copy, unless someone has actually got access to one's computer.
In the end its quite easy to figure out the different numbers etc in an email header. I sent myself some emails, using both yahoo and hotmail, and bingo, comparing the headers etc. told me exactly what was what.

and yes i will drop it now Smile i just had to know !

cheeers... and thanks for the advice
0 Replies