S.B.I.

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:53 pm
Does anyone know the meaning of the letters "S.B.I." at the end of a stock name? There are a few that seem to be related related to Real Estate Investment Trusts, (R.E.I.T.s), but I can't figure out what that term means.

I have looked everywhere, and see references to the term S.B.I., but I can't find a definition. It appears to be a class of stocks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,907 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:34 pm
Surrounded By Idiots or Strange Business Initiative perhaps? :wink:

Or it might be related to SIS Group AG

Quote:
About SIS Swiss Financial Services Group AG
SIS Swiss Financial Services Group AG is a leading provider of clearing, settlement, risk management, custody, share register and IT services acting in domestic and 50 international markets. Its shareholders comprise banks and financial institutions operating in Switzerland. The holding company and its four subsidiaries employ around 500 staff members.

SIS x-clear AG acts as Central Counterparty for virt-x and is a centre of competence for risk management within the SIS Group. SIS x-clear is licensed as a bank under Swiss law and enjoys the status of a Recognised Overseas Clearing House in the United Kingdom.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 03:08 pm
Re: S.B.I.
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Does anyone know the meaning of the letters "S.B.I." at the end of a stock name?

I think it means Super-Bad Investment. Why do you ask?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 03:20 pm
SBI INVESTMENT is the core company of the asset management business. It was formed on July 1, 2005 through the merger of SBI VENTURES K.K., which took over fund management from the former SOFTBANK INVESTMENT CORPORATION (currently SBI Holdings, Inc), with SOFTBANK CONTENTS PARTNERS CORPORATION and BIOVISION CAPITAL CORP.

As a "new industry creator," SBI INVESTMENT aims to be a leader in creating and growing pivotal 21st-century industries by engaging in the incubation of IT and biotechnology venture firms.

Web Site

SBI INVESTMENT offers comprehensive support to venture companies through SOFTBANK INTERNET TECHNOLOGY FUND, the largest venture capital fund in Japan, and other funds by providing them with risk capital, tax and financial administration support, public offering related consultation services, and capable managers.

Company Outline
Company name SBI Investment Co., Ltd.
Principal business Venture capital
Representative Yoshitaka Kitao
Location Izumi Garden Tower 1-6-1, Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Date of establishment June 7, 1996
Paid-in capital 50 million yen
URL http://www.sbinvestment.co.jp/
(As of October 01, 2006
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 03:23 pm
http://www.sbimf.com/portal/static/investment.html

(The other link was to Japan )
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 03:24 pm
SBI = SOFTBANK INVESTMENT
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Yes, it's part of the SBI Group I've mentioned above.
0 Replies

Chai

Prince would know this...

State Bank of India

that's my guess.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 03:26 pm
I love R.E.I.T's stocks. Here it is, Phoenix

http://www.borge.diesal.de/a2k/fin.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 06:56 pm
Hmmm....................I have a number of REITS. When I got the 1099s, a couple of them had "SBI" listed after the stock's name. Funny thing though. I found this website:

http://www.csidata.com/factsheets/nyse.txt

CFD,BHD,BSD,ans EGP have SBI suffixes on this list, whereas the ones that I have don't.

I am really curious about this!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:36 pm
Some foreign securities use these types of lettering sort of like how we use Corp. or Inc. or Co. Either that or many of these look like the acronym for the currency they are valued in.

EGP is Egyptian Pound, BHD is Bahraini Dinar, BSD is Bahamian Dollar.

And I also have seen SBI also used as State Bank of India, however, I think this may be used as a Co, Inc. sort of thing.

Are these holdings on a mutual fund? If they are common suffixes like Corp, or Co, Inc. for a foreign security, then a mutual fund typically will not define these on the holdings report, however, usually they do define currencies. But every fund company is different some provide lots of information so as not to get lots of calls from the shareholders and others avoid disclosing anything other than want is required.

If it is a mutual fund and you really want to know, there should be a 1-800 number you can call and ask - that is what their customer service information line is for.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:08 pm
Ahh I know what it is!!! I remember asking this question also while working and just know I am looking at the holdings of a mutual fund that holds REITs. One REIT has (SBI) next to its name and voila it came to me - it means Shares of Beneficial Interest.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:23 am
Linkat- Thank you so much. That sounds right to me, because of the type of stocks where one finds the suffix SBI.
0 Replies

Bob G

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:44 pm
S.B.I.
The abbreviation "sbi" following the name or stock symbol of a REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) means "shares of beneficial interest."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:05 pm
Bob G - Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies