Heinlein dated? How are the mighty fallen!

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:52 am
I discovered Robert A. Heinlein in my very early teens and every time a new novel was released (for $.99 or $1.99) I bought it immediately and devoured it.

Heinlein wasn't proud of his potboilers, but he had a deft touch with swashbuckling heros and a Worldly & Sophisticated (but allusive) Philosophy of sexual liberation.

Last night I re-read Glory Road, first published in 1963. I confess to doing a lot of skimming, particularly when Our Hero was fulsomely appreciating the virtues of his Beloved Little Woman.

Still, I don't feel my evening was a waste.

Has anyone else read Heinlein recently?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 942 • Replies: 13
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:56 am
Lately I find much of his stuff to be misogynistic.

"By His Bootstraps" is still a classic, however.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:59 am
I ran into a copy of his future histories a few months ago. I don't think there was a thing I hadn't read before.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:02 am
Over the last year, I've read several Heinlein novels, including The Moon is a harsh Mistress, Stranger in a Strange Land, and Tunnel in the Sky. None of them is Great Art (TM), but I definitely got my money's and my time's worth reading them.

I also read Expanded Universe, a collection of non-fiction essays. They show Heinlein as a hardened, militaristic, pro-McCarthy commie-eater, and haven't aged nearly as well as his fiction. Of course, that's just my humble opinion.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:08 am
Before I learned that f/sf could be purchased in novel form at the newsstand (and in the late '40s and early '50s a bespectacled preadolescent girl usually didn't haunt newsstands) I discovered f/sf magazines.

One of my first illuminations on the diversity of human opinion was an issue of Galaxy which printed two full page ads. One page featured the hawks, the other the doves.

Both pages included some of my favorite authors.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:10 pm
Google has a number of sites devoted to Heinlein aphorisms.

This one was conspicuous for easy navigation.

http://jpetrie.myweb.uga.edu/Heinlein.html
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:31 pm
never much of a heinlein fan, more a bradbury guy

but did love heinlein's book Job: A Comedy of Justice
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:38 pm
ha. and here i thought you were talking about some Nazi official and some love affair he was involved in.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:41 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
ha. and here i thought you were talking about some Nazi official and some love affair he was involved in.

choked on my tea dag, that's funny
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:00 pm
I loved Heinlein as a teenager. Was mightily disappointed in Stranger in a Strange Land. Last time I looked over one of his novels, I found my interest was nil.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 11:18 pm
I thought Stranger in a Strange Land was a little weak, with Moon is a Harsh Mistress being his best adult novel.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:24 am
Ever since Moon is a Harsh Mistress the world has been divided between the people who think all computers are named Hal and those who believe in the decency of Mycroft/Michelle.
0 Replies

SneakyBeaky

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:38 am
I can't say I'm really into scifi...but I have found a love for Heinlein. Being 16, I can say most of my peers find Heinlein to be dated I guess... or at least they suffer from scifi phobia... but in my opinion, he's one of the best, and not just in his genre.

Whenever I'm sick of literature I'm forced to read at school, I always revert to my Heinlein collection, which is basically all of my father's old books.

Assignment in Enternity and The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag are probably my favorite short story collections, and I've read them too many times to count.

I recently reread Stranger and The Number of the Beast, and plan rereading some others when I have some time.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:54 pm
SneakyBeaky--

Welcome to A2K.

The Venerable Old Masters are great. So are some of the current writers. I just finished Tim Pratt, The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl.

I find it very hard to suspend disbelief for fantasy set in this world, but Pratt makes his story work. I also learned a good bit about Graphic Novels, plugging another gap in my invincible ignorance.
0 Replies