Severus Snape: Good, Bad, or Just a Coward???

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 03:26 pm
This is the place to tell everyone your opinion about Severus Snape! Do you think he's good, bad, or just a coward?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,872 • Replies: 36
No top replies

shrimpy1522

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 03:28 pm
I think that snape is good, and dumby (dumbledore) is'nt really dead, no matter HOW many times J.K.R. tells us that is'nt true. (the part about dumby, I mean.)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 03:41 pm
snape good

dumbledore dead
0 Replies

shrimpy1522

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 04:59 pm
well, see I think that he is'nt dead now, but once he comes back, he'll die. I also just got into the theory that harry is a horcrux. If you dont believe in this theory, then please, give it a chance, if you study up on it, you will find that it is really interesting.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 05:04 pm
i think there's a pretty good chance that harry is a horcrux

it's one reason why i think harry will probably have to die in the final book
0 Replies

shrimpy1522

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 05:10 pm
I think that somehow Neville will find a way to make it so that he dies, not Harry.
0 Replies

shrimpy1522

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 05:22 pm
oh yeah, also, Mrs. Figg is a potions masta! Her house smells like cabbage, (just like the apothecary in diagon alley) and I think that her, filch, Dudley and/or aunt petunia are going to do magic in the 7th book!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 05:26 pm
I, too, am willing to bet Snape is good. There's that scene in Book 6 where Hagrid tells Harry that he overheard a conversation Dumbledore and Snape were having, with Snape apparently not happy about doing something Dumbledore asked him to do. My guess is that Dumbledore made Snape take an Unbreakable Vow that he, Snape, would kill Dumbledore should it become necessary. This is how I interpret Dumbledore's last words ("Severus... please..."). This is also why I think Dumbledore is dead.
0 Replies

shrimpy1522

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 05:38 pm
Snape will end up saving harry's life, draco will suprise us and give the order voldemort's secrets, neville will save harry from death, etc. etc.
0 Replies

shrimpy1522

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 10:23 am
I just got a new theory last night!!! (actually it was'nt MY idea, it was part of a harry potter podcast I listen to) Okay here it is! You know how there's that veil Sirius fell behind? Well, on this podcast they where talking about if you went through the veil with a rope tied to you and something in the room would you be able to come back out, and would you be dead when you came out, but then someone said "well, if you just put your hand in, would you have like, a DEAD hand?" And then they all kinda gasped at the same time, because they just realized THAT had to be how dumby got his hand the way it was! (he was destroying the ring horcrux and he stuck his hand in to kill it but it killed his hand, too!)
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 10:43 am
I think Snape is good- but I do think there is a little more to him that we don't know....

Dumbledore is totally coming back- I don't think he's really dead.
0 Replies

shrimpy1522

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:22 pm
So do I! I also think that Harry will go back in time, Harry will go to godric's hollow, he will run across snape (from the past) and Harry will have to choose between saving his parents, and something else (I havent decided what yet), he will not save his parents, and that is why Snape hates him so much (Snape<3Lilly Potter)
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:12 am
Severus Snape
I disagree that Dumbledore isn't really dead. Harry needs to be completely on his own, and this can't happen if he has Dumbledore to turn to. He must make his own decisions, even though he can get advice and support from Ron and Hermione.

Ron and Hermione are lower-level characters, so to speak, than Harry, but he needs them because they do approach peer status, (which never applied to Harry and Dumbledore, of course)and Harry has to have the help that near-peers can give - in the sense Ron and Hermione have different talents which are tools that Harry can use.

I'm sure Neville and Luna will surface in the last book; too much effort has been put into making them believable characters for the author to just drop them. Also the fight at the Ministry welded Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Luna, and Ginny too closely together to ignore.

My worst worry is what will happen to Ginny?

Snape's villainy is necessary to the story, and I'm sure he was a double agent. For him to turn out a white hat would be a cop-out.

BTW - Harry really finally grows up the night he and Dumbledore go on their expedition: Harry is worried because he hasn't got his apparation license, and Dumbledore says no problem because "you are with ME." Returning from the cave, Dumbledore tells Harry that he's not worried because "I am with YOU" - acknowledgement that Harry can now be in control.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:36 am
Severus Snape
A further note: During Dumbledore's funeral, Harry realizes that "he has no one now" to stand between him and evil. His parents, Sirius, Dumbledore, all are gone, and he must stand on his own. To contradict that by having Dumbledore return would be to outrage common sense, and one of the most important aspects of the series is the constant injection of common sense into the magic. This is, in fact, part of the whole appeal of the series - fundamentally ordinary situations; logical responses to events; the familiar framing the exotic.

The same reasoning applies to the thought that Snape may really be an ally, perhaps even acting under Dumbledore's orders in killing him.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 11:40 am
Any thoughts on why Snape doesn't try to capture Harry at the very end of Book 6, as Harry is chasing him? He manages to disarm Harry and even attacks him, but why would Snape leave him behind--especially in the light of Bellatrix's accusations at the beginning of the book? In that conversation Snape says Voldemort had reason for keeping the boy alive only until "one year ago" (i.e. the events of Book 5), and that killing him would have been foolhardy under Dumbledore's nose. Now that neither condition applies, are there any reasons why Snape would have left an unarmed, unaided Harry behind?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:03 pm
Severus Snape
Well, at some point - I forget which book - it is pointed out that Voldemort wanted to kill Harry himself, not merely that he wants Harry dead.

The thought that Harry might be the last horcrux is interesting, but since Voldemort wants Harry dead - and wants to kill Harry personally - this would mean that Voldemort would, in effect, be committing suicide. Given his fear and his complex evasion of death, I think this would be most unlikely.
0 Replies

shrimpy1522

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:38 pm
I was discussing with a friend last night about when DD died. You know how harry froze up? well i dont think that DD put that spell on him. it had to be someone that knew the death eaters were coming. I think that it was mad-eye moody, because he can see through invsblty cloaks. anyway. When snape killed DD (I dont know where i stand on if he is actually dead or not) harry did'nt get unfrozen until DD fell out of the tower. If DD had put that spell on him, it would have broken instantly when he died.
0 Replies

shrimpy1522

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:46 pm
I think that DD could either b dead or alive. idk. i think he's dead though. I have two sides to the story.
1st theory:
Dumby is'nt dead. did you ever SEE his body at his funeral? no. it was covered up. also, in the tower, when it is just Draco and DD (and harry) DD is saying to Draco "we can make it look like you are dead....he will never know" By that, of course he is saying to harry that He, DD will fake his own death

2nd theory
Dumby IS dead. Earlier in the book, DD is pleading with Snape. "Severus Please...." and by that of course he means kill him if he has to. if he IS dead then i think Harry will contact him in book 7.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:09 pm
Re: Severus Snape
Tomkitten wrote:
Well, at some point - I forget which book - it is pointed out that Voldemort wanted to kill Harry himself, not merely that he wants Harry dead.

I recall something similar... Book 4, maybe? In any case, it may be that Snape knew not to kill Harry, but he certainly could have captured him. That he didn't is what leads me to believe that Snape is, in the end, one of the good guys.
0 Replies

shrimpy1522

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 10:49 am
I think that sanpe, percy, and draco will do something outstanding to help in the end.
0 Replies