Mr/Miss/Mrs Cool

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:30 am
Who is the coolest person you've known or met. Not well known or famous entertainers or sports persons. An everyday person from among Joe Public.

Perhaps for me it was over 40 years ago when I first started work as a Trainee Film Editor. The guy who was Head of Sound was about 40 and had polio as a kid. This guy Ron drove an adapted car to work every day and was a very highly esteemed Sound Mixer who ruled his staff and anybody else who entered his empire with a rod of iron. He was not an ogre and made light of his disability even tho he couldn't walk easily. If anyone didn't come up to scratch, they were told quite firmly of the error of their ways. I never heard him shout at anyone and he was always ready with technical advice and at the end of job he liked a good chat about things. He would lean back in his chair at his huge mixing desk, light up a Pall Mall and for 30 minutes or so regale us with tales of humor and people of note he'd known. He was a guy who had time for other people. A man for all seasons. Never panicked, never swore, never lost his temper. Why ? Cos he knew exactly what he was doing. Mr. Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,705 • Replies: 22
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:49 am
You mean cool, as in unflappable or cool, like Fonzy cool/. Nya Yevim.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:52 am
yEAH fARMERMAN --- kINDA LAIDBACK. uNFLAPPABLE COOL.
aS WHEN YOU LEAVE THE CAPS LOCK ON.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:55 am
Good topic, Boss . . . in the now famous minatory phrase of Ah-nold . . .

"Ah'll be back . . . "
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 08:45 am
The coolest person that I ever met was Bruno, ex-european manager for Nike and L.A. Gear. he came to our little town in the south of Germany, being really laid back and well read...

He had quit a really good job in Frankfurt to be the clean up guy at Gossard, the inventor of Wonderbra. he said "not only is the position really good, but the view is better... In my old job with L.A. Gear, I looked at peoples feet, with a job perspective, what kind of shoes are people wearing... now I get to stare at womens busts, and I can claim it's my job!"

It wasn't this that made him my coolest person, but more the fact that he made everybody that got close to him feel special. He listened to all of your bull or problems, and he told you frankly what he thought was right or wrong, but was never condescending, no matter how half ass your idea was.

He came here by mistake, actually. He thought he was going to a town nearer to Stuttgart, and landed in the boonies. First he was disappointed, but since he was from the boonies himself( his own words), he coped pretty well. I've never seen anybody making so many earnest friends in such a short time, brilliant.

Sadly he had a fatal accident at the age of 42, we were about 50 mourners from Balingen who travelled 120 miles to his funeral. I still say hello when we pass the bridge where he died, and ask him to reserve a place for me, next to him, wherever he is.

He was my Mr. Cool
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 08:51 am
I have the privilege of seeing the coolest guy I've ever met every day, when I look in the mirror.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:06 am
Some how I knew that one was coming slappy... I'd say the same, but... we've never met, I'm afraid
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:09 am
mirror mirror on the wall, has slappy really got it all ????????

polite answers only
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:19 am
First I want to hear abt other peoples MrMrsMiss Cool... then we can talk abt Slappy's coolness
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 09:59 am
It's true.

I'm cooler than the other side of the pillow.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:00 am
And you've used that answer before Slappy. You need a new writer and some new lines
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:08 am
But it fit in perfect here...damn you and your good memory!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:15 am
Coolest guy I ever knew had to be Nati Lerman, from my high school days. My friends and I were Goths, but Nati was so Goth, he didn't even hang out with the Goths. His family was from Israel, and his dad was on a work contract in Toronto, so to our school he came. His hair was kept short in the back, but long, as in down to his chin, in front, so you literally could not see his face at all. We thought that was about the coolest cut we had ever seen. At first, he really kept to himself, just kinda moped around school, cool as can be. One day he asked me for a light, and even though I didn't smoke, I always carried a lighter, cuz, um, that was the fashion at the time (thank youu Grandpa Simpson). We struck up a conversation, and he turned out to be one of the nicest, kindest, funniest people I had ever met. We became fast friends, and he soon found himself part of our little clique. He was truly a good and gentle soul, despite the Goth exterior. I never saw him lose his cool, or speak an ill word to anyone. The only time I ever saw him completely unravel was when his father's contract was up, and they had to head back to Israel. Nati knew that this meant mandatory military service, as he was of age, and this was something he abhorred. About a year later, he came to visit us in Toronto, hair cropped, and a little sadder and wiser. He tried to send us all letters, but eventually we lost touch. All I can say is that we wish him well, and hope he is still alive, given the mess in that part of the world right now. Definitely the coolest guy I knew.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:16 am
Slappy, you are as cool as a cougar's cucumber dildo, and just as slimy. You can use that one....Sandler turned it down....
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:26 am
I guess Slappy will do his own thing in his own sweet little way.
Whatever your bag is Slappy, but not a doggybag or a bodybag
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:33 am
Mmmmm, cucumber....

This dude who ran a scene shop I used to work in. Big guy, about 350, 400 pounds, prolly, and 6'7" or 6'8" (though he did shed a lot of weight at one point, gone down to a slim 280 or so). He'd messed up his back doing "heavy" work a few years before, so he had to take it easy; for him this meant grabbing two or three stacked sheets of one-inch plywood and tossing them around like they were nothing. Light work, y'know. He's the smallest man in his family, but that's beside the point.

I never saw this guy get rattled about anything, and I damn near cut off his finger one time, being an idiot. The guy didn't even flinch, didn't say nothing, just looked at me and made sure I realized what I'd almost done, and that was that. Spend his days in these crazy big jeans with crazy big red suspenders, long hair, like Paul Bunyan. Smoked a pipe that you could always smell when you drove up to the loading dock hung over in the morning to take your Pain Aid (best pain reliever this side of narcotics -- big portions of aspirin, acetmoneophin, some other pain reliever, and caffeine, the ultimate hangover pill, which the dude always kept on hand). Every Friday afternoon, if the week's work was done, he'd get out his upright bass (which looked like a cello next to the dude) and would thump along and sing random country/hippie/whatever songs with another old guy who worked there and anyone else who came along with an instrument, usually had a running spoken commentary to go along with the music.

Dude and his wife adopted a kid, weird little guy, thick glasses, small, meek, super-geeky, into sci-fi and computers at the age of, like, 8 -- total opposite of the big dude in so many ways. And the dude was so cool about it; got interested in what the kid was doing, bragged about him, just was very cool about everything the kid did.

Best boss ever. Course, the fact that he could crush you if he wanted to kept everybody pretty much orderly and in line, but everything there was just laid back, whether we were just cleaning up around the shop or teaming up to hump a quarter mile of four-inch thick mutli cable through the woods. Good stuff. Dude was cool.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:43 am
Hmm....it seems that by the time I got to university I was already jaded, so another high school reminiscence of the coolest chick I knew back then. Her name was Jane Jannigan, tall, gorgeous, with fire-engine red hair....she fell somewhere between punk and goth, and there was not a guy around her who didn't have a crush on her. Sweet, classy, and very very cool. If she ever dated, it was a secret. She was cool to the point of being almost a legend. If she was sighted at a party, it was a big big deal. Diva-like, although she was always invited to every party, she didn't always show up, like the rest of us peons. When she was there, it was a special appearance. She is also the only girl I knew whose name I recognized on a bathroom wall. The usual fare is "For a good time call..." but this read "I love Jane Jannigan (red dyed hair)." A legend in her own time. She is also the girl who showed me that my toes could be an erogenous zone.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 11:05 am
Judy DeStepano and professor of American History and teacher of the herstory of women. She was cool, smart, intelligent, and femine.

She believed in women and she was active in politics and most importantly she enriched the lives of her students.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:26 pm
Wow. John's on a roll; from hot to cool in a matter of hours Cool

Hmmmmm. A lot of cool people in the music business and in broadcasting, so I'll have to think a bit on this one.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 12:42 pm
Joanne, It sounds as tho Judy Destapno was a great communicator. If a person can communicate so that others are glued to their every word, then that makes 'em cool, as well being pretty darn clever and good at their job..

Letty my dear, from hot to cool ? Versatility perhaps. Beats the hell out of sitting on the fence. Music and broadcasting, two of the great fields for cool to surface, along with prima donnas who bring their temper tantrums along.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mr/Miss/Mrs Cool
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.54 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 07:31:02