Guitarists/ guitar builders; please answer my question

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 12:39 pm
I am looking for a specific neck for a fender stratocaster.

I want a neck that is slightly thicker than the normal. Is this what "thick C shape" means?

And I want 21 frets, but when I look at necks on the web it says (for instance); 21 frets, 9.5" radius.

What does the radius refer to. The radius of what?

And what is "jumbo frets"? Are they wider or narrower, or none of those?

Many questions, I know, but if anyone can answer them I will be very grateful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 894 • Replies: 12
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 01:30 pm
Radius requires to the curvature of the fingerboard, not of the back of the neck (the bit that your palm touches).

As far as that radius goes...

Quote:
The lower the radius number, the easier it is to wrap your hand around the neck. A very old Fender Telecaster would have a 9" radius, which is very curved, and comfortable for playing closed chords up and down the neck. But you can't bend strings worth a damn without fretting out unless the action is set very high.

(from http://www.fretsmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=51&storycode=15761 )
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 02:08 pm
Thanks patiodog. That's excactly what I need to know. I bookmarked the link, and it will undoubtedly be closely scrutinized.

The link you provided states that the higher the number, the flatter the fretboard. Makes sense. The fretboard is thought of as a section of a circle. The bigger the circle, the flatter the section that is the width of the fretboard would be.

My telecaster has a radius of 7 1/4". Bending is ok, but I'm building a strat (assembling it from parts), and it will have a 9.5" radius. Smile
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 02:18 pm
Nice. What kind of pickups are you using?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 02:26 pm
haven't decided yet. I am leaning towards the custom 69 strat pickups, but I haven't really gotten around to check all my options.
I listen to John Mayer, and I love his guitar sound. He uses three "big dipper" single coils with scooped mid-range voicing. But they don't sell those separately. I came across some pickups on a blade guitar that had equalizing options, and I will check into those. But there is a lot of research to do before I come to actually buying any.

Do you have any suggestions?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 02:40 pm
Nope, just curious. Back when I was around a lot of instruments, it was always bargain basement or whatever some skatepunk pulled off someone's truck and unloaded in a hurry.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 10:42 am
Cyracuz, hope you don't mind. I have a q, too. Well, lots, but let me start with a stupid one I've been holding on.

What is the name of that little piece right above the fret board? It holds the fret wire in place, right at the top of the neck?

Whatever it is called, I've been wanting to replace that bit on my old acoustic for ages, but am afraid of screwing it up. The guitar isn't great but it is not total crap either. And this is the only thing wrong with it.

Haven't done it yet because 1)no one I have asked knows what the thing is called lol
b) I've been too embarrassed to walk in the music store and ask, because I don't even know the name of the part

Can I use super glue or do I need to buy special adhesive?

I've been told to just replace the neck but I don't want to yet.

BTW patio, tell those punks I want my case back, the bastards!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 10:56 am
Might not apply to the question, flushd, but luthiers mostly use hide glue for the flexibility, but not sure it's used on that exact appllication. Oh, rabbit hide glue is preferred, and not of the hide glues has good resistance to moisture.

Search on Luthier's supplies, I suppose.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 11:11 am
That makes sense, roger. Thanks.
Ok, so I'll spring for some decent glue. grumble.

BTW, the piece is off and the area is ready. I just to find the name of the part and then go and find one, and fit it on.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 11:56 am
flushd,

Are you talking about the piece at the end of the neck neareast the headstock and tuners where the strings are guided through ? If so, that is called the nut, and several types are available. If you're talking about the strip that runs the length of the neck on either side, that's known as binding.

HTH
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 03:17 pm
Sorry for this huge image, but it shows 'the part' I'm talking about nicely.

It's that little strip of plastic (mine was wood) -white in this picture - right at the end of the board.

Maybe it is only for cheapo guitars? I've noticed some don't have it.

The part that the wires lay on.

Yeah, that stupid little piece of plastic. What is it called?

http://www.worldwidehealth.com/ecards/6349_tn_Guitar%20Neck.jpg
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 05:25 am
Yep, I think that part is called the nut. There is a similar thing at the other end of the strings, and that is called a saddle, I think.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:22 am
Ok, thanks guys. Very much.
0 Replies