Another reason why smoking is dangerous

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 06:43 pm
Quote:
Woman sets head on fire trying to light cig

02/16/2007
Staff Report

LAWRENCE--A township woman was in critical condition at a Philadelphia hospital after accidentally setting herself on fire while lighting a cigarette over a stove.

Slackwood Fire Company Chief Mike Oakley said a water sprinkler activated directly over her head, saving her life.

The victim, Julia Edwards, 47, was in critical but stable condition yesterday at Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia, recovering from second- and third-degree burns, reported Lt. Thomas Ritter, township police spokesman.

The fire occurred in her apartment at Project Freedom at Lawrence, 1841 Princeton Ave.

"We're getting reports that she was lighting a cigarette over top of the stove, and the flames from the stove communicated to her hair and some clothing," said Chief Oakley.

"Fortunate for her, she was standing underneath a sprinkler head, and the heat from when she ignited touched off the sprinkler head, and it was right over top of her," he said.

"And the water just got right on her, the water from the sprinkler head communicated to her.

"She had second- and third-degree burns, and she was taken to [Capital Health Systems at] Helene Fuld," he said.

"However, they Medivaced her down to Temple, in the burn unit."

Chief Oakley was relieved to be giving out good news, however.

"They say sprinklers save lives. It was fortunate she was standing in the right place. We're just hoping everything goes good, and everything turns out fine."

He said the fire is being ruled accidental, due to carelessness. There was no fire damage to the apartment, just minor smoke and water damage.

The case is under investigation by Police Officer Shawn Sudol and Detective James Vardanega.

Project Freedom caters to disabled HUD adults aged 25-to-50 who require a barrier-free environment and have good backgrounds and tenancy.

The development has 54 barrier-free one-story apartments, 44 with one bedroom and 10 with two bedrooms.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 563 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 06:49 pm
Reyn, i did a double-take before i realized what your avatar is...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 07:41 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
Reyn, i did a double-take before i realized what your avatar is...

Laughing Seeing double? Maybe ease up a bit on the refreshments. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 08:53 pm
Oh, hell, that's nothing.

(I'm kidding, that is something, I am sorry for the woman.)

I don't remember butane lighters much before, say, '66?

That was when a boyfriend gave me a really good looking butane lighter that turned out to be problematic. First of all, I left it in med school lecture hall and had to go buy a new one since I was not ready to explain that to the fellow. Not cheap.

Next, I was in a lab office, joking around, and smoking as most of us did, and this 12" flame shot up as I was lighting my cig. Yes, hair in flames. Luckily, Jimmy got the flames out, and I don't now remember how. It might have been with his hands. Good grief.

I didn't stop smoking then, took me another approx 14 years.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:08 pm
Whats a barrier =free apartment? Can anybody like, just walk in and watch her smoking?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:12 pm
No steps, room to move your wheel chair. Irrelevant, as far as I can tell.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:15 pm
Is that another prt of the "Accesible" phraseology.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:19 pm
Yes. Actually I saw that early on, memo'd a book on Barrier Free Access.

Not that I'm against that, except in some circumstances.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:36 pm
ossobuco wrote:
(I'm kidding, that is something, I am sorry for the woman.) ...

Yeah, it's a horrible thing, but I hope she's persuaded herself to give up the filthy habit now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:57 pm
I'm telling you, Reyn, I didn't. I carried on with the smoking. I did stop smoking twenty five years ago, but not from that particular and amazing scenario.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 10:09 pm
Poor Britney...
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 10:52 am
I caught my bangs on fire using a lighter. What an idiot (me) Rolling Eyes
I did laugh though. Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 11:02 am
Re: Another reason why smoking is dangerous
Quote:
and the flames from the stove communicated to her hair and some clothing," said Chief Oakley.

Code:
To: Woman
CC: Hair, clothing
Subject: Lighting cigarette
Get that filthy cancer stick away from me before I open a can of whoop-ass on you!

Regards,

Front-left Burner.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 11:06 am
DrewDad
That is hilarious. Maybe it should be in the humor section. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Another reason why smoking is dangerous
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 06:21:59