Café Etiquette

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:01 pm
You walk into a café. There is one person ordering at the register. There is only one table free. Do you:

(A) Stand in line behind the current customer in the hopes that he or she is getting his coffee to go, allowing you to claim the last remaining table after you've ordered; or

(B) Set your stuff down at the last remaining table first, then take a place in line, effectively robbing the other customer of the table even through he or she ordered before you did?

Any thoughts? I would like to be of the opinion that (A) is the more honorable option, but hey, it's a dog-eat-dog world and I have to assume that customers would not make that same sacrifice for me. Or would they? Dunno.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,067 • Replies: 46
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:03 pm
A
on the other hand, if I'm walking toward the cafe and I see someone else also walking toward the cafe I will hasten my step to get there first.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:06 pm
I think you pay, then hope there's a table left for you. The person in front of you probably wondered if they'd get a table, too.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:12 pm
In such situations I've sometimes gotten lucky: the customer before me snagged the last seat, but someone else got up and left while I was ordering, so everyone won. But I've also been burned because I did the noble thing. Indeed, as I probably should have mentioned up front--I ask this question because this very thing happened to me about 10 minutes ago. Argh.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:13 pm
This is such a typical American problem, where everyone has to have
his own table. Everywhere else you would just ask if you could join the ones already seated at a table.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:19 pm
Most folk don't hang around for hours over a coffee, anyway.

CalamityJane, sorry but I've had a few unfortunate experiences when agreeing to share a table. Really. Sad but true.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:22 pm
Funny you should mention that... it occurred to me as I was typing this up that the question wouldn't apply to cafés in Paris, the only non-American city I've lived in for an extended period of time and hence my only foreign basis of comparison. For one thing, the concept of "ordering coffee to go" seemed to be a pretty alien one in Paris; also, the notion of ordering at the register rather than being waited on was pretty rare too.

Then again, sharing tables does happen in the States, sometimes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:32 pm
I've shared tables at cafes I frequent, rather relaxed places.

I usually do A, can't really remember doing B.
Sometimes I am entering a cafe with a friend, and one will order and the other will get a table.. not so much to beat someone out, though. Just that we both don't have to stand there waiting for lattes to happen.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:38 pm
msolga wrote:

CalamityJane, sorry but I've had a few unfortunate experiences when agreeing to share a table. Really. Sad but true.

At a Cafè, Miss Olga? Hm, have you ever been to Vienna? Sitting in
a Cafè is the favorite past time there, and people will seek out your
table to sit with you and chat - unless you're reading a newspaper.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:44 pm
Screw that....grab the table, then order. If it's open, it's open.

And if they ask you to share the table, calmly stand up, then stab them. That's how we roll.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:05 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
msolga wrote:

At a Cafè, Miss Olga? Hm, have you ever been to Vienna? Sitting in
a Cafè is the favorite past time there, and people will seek out your
table to sit with you and chat - unless you're reading a newspaper.

No, not Vienna .... but London, Amsterdam, Bologna, Florence, Oslo, Dubrovnik, Jakarta, Hamburg, Bombay, to name a few .... and yes, I've been at cafes in these places. You can have the misfortune of running into cranks or bores anywhere. Most folk aren't, but (especially if on your own) some can & do materialize.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
A
on the other hand, if I'm walking toward the cafe and I see someone else also walking toward the cafe I will hasten my step to get there first.

Me too!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:43 pm
Re sharing tables: are you expected to ignore your table mates or engage them? CJane says engage them..........
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:00 am
I'm up for sharing a table in an empty cafe. 6 degrees of separation usually works.

Light chat about the wheather, cattle prices or similar, if they dont want to chat you'll feel it soon enough.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:08 am
It depends. I tend to have a newspaper anyway, so if chatting is awkward, no matter.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 02:59 am
I think if your table mate isn't obviously immersed in something, chatting would be fine. I currently live in a college-y part of town, so the cafés I frequent are usually populated with students typing away at their laptops. I'm guessing most of them would rather concentrate on their work than make small talk with a stranger.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 03:12 am
Shapeless wrote:
For one thing, the concept of "ordering coffee to go" seemed to be a pretty alien one in Paris; also, the notion of ordering at the register rather than being waited on was pretty rare too.

Totally alien, I would say...
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 03:22 am
One of my favorite cafés in Paris was this place whose "lunch break" did not necessarily mean that the proprieter actually left the premises to eat lunch; it didn't even mean that he closed the doors or that passers-by were forbidden from entering. It just meant he stopped working for an hour or so. Oftentimes people were still allowed to come in, chat with the proprietor and enjoy a cigarette. The only thing we weren't allowed to do during that hour was order food.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 03:35 am
I know two or three guys like that...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:14 am
It wouldn't occur to me to take the table when I came in, as I ususally just carry my handbag and wouldn't leave that unattended. If I had a book or newspaper, I think it'd be tacky to leave that to claim the table.

What's the big deal? If you're taking the time to sit and have coffee, you can spare the couple of minutes until someone else leaves. It's not like everyone there all arrived at the same time and is going to be there for hours. In the meantime, lean against a wall and read your book with one hand and hold your coffee with the other.

If I was at a table, I'd notice if someone was waiting, and if I was only planning on being there a few more minutes anyway, I'd leave.

Or, I'd ask them if they'd like to join me.

This brings up something I've wondered about.....How long do you think it's appropriate to sit with a cup of coffee at a table? I mean, if everyone spent only a couple of dollars, and sat for hours with their laptop, how is the business making ends meet?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Café Etiquette
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 10:41:04