Recommendations plz? Subject matter: grief

flushd

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 06:19 am
Books or any other thing that can be absorbed at my own leisure and in privacy.

Yeah, I know I could just google and ask around. Asking around proved fruitless. No one is talking, reading these things that I know - or they aren't admitting to it.
Besides, I want help sifting through all the crap out there. I wandered in a few book stores looking for something that spoke to me and was not struck by any of it. It was disheartening. Especially because I know there are scads of information and books written for this.

So naturally I now turn to yall. Smile

What I am NOT interested in: personal stories in book form, personal 'journeys' , 'lessons' learnt from death, books on grieving your own or another's illness/dying/declining abilities etc, catch-all grief books, books that are point-by-analysis slash workbooks.

What I AM looking for: Something that can explain what the grieving process is all about in relation to complex losses that have been piled over by years of junk and avoidance.
What TO DO to find my own healthy way of grieving, moving on, and not getting sucked back into repressing.

It's for old business not fresh in action, so I'm NOT interested in funeral arrangements and day to day coping crap when going through a crisis. Crisis past, now want solid help for the aftermath.

thanks !
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 965 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 08:39 am
I think this is Elizabeth Kubler-Ross's last book, it's on Amazon:

ISBN-10: 0743266285
ISBN-13: 978-0743266284
On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss (Hardcover)

$16.50
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 09:31 am
Thanks, jes. Have you read it?

I read what the 'search inside' feature allows. More! I like it so far and will be ordering it.

Listen to this. Nearly 40 bucks through McNally's here. WTF? Not in at Chapter's . This explains it. Bitter laugh.

anyways, thanks. Still open to further recommendations.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 09:45 am
I haven't read it, but I know Kubler-Ross is the biggie. I hope it helps.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 11:05 am
Yep, Kubler-Ross seems to be just what you're looking for, flushd.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 03:12 pm
Thank you. Yes, this is right on.

I was able to squiggle a copy from a local resource center. Double bonus there! The woman there is very nice and helpful.

Kubler-Ross was quite the amazing woman. Thanks again for such quick and efficient help.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 08:23 am
Flushd--

Taking action is a good idea.

I saw this book recommended in a newspaper column this morning:

Julia Cameron: The Artist's Way

http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Way-Julia-Cameron/dp/1585421472/sr=1-2/qid=1171894781/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-3638316-7567148?ie=UTF8&s=books

She doesn't focus on recovering from the past as much as on moving forward to a full, creative life.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:56 am
Noddy,
Thank you for your support. Here and elsewhere.

I have that book! Will have to see if I still have it around. It's a fun one, and was a real help at the time I got it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 02:08 pm
Flushd--

Thanks for the kind words.

Remember, self-discovery is a spiral journey.
0 Replies