Latency Interruption at Switching Station-What Does It Mean

sumac

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 02:02 pm
I received the following email Matrix Instant Alert today, which states, in part,

Quote:
Level 3, WorldCom Peering Problems
November 11
Figure 1:
Worldcom Latency

Click to enlarge Matrix monitoring locations in North America and Asia detected extremely high latency increases at the peering point between Level 3 and WorldCom in San Francisco. This event lasted from 21:00 GMT to 23:45 GMT, causing latency levels to increase to eight times their normal values. WorldCom and Level 3 are both Tier 1 ISPs that carry Internet traffic globally.

During the 2.75-hour event, traffic exchanged between these two ISPs in San Francisco may have experienced significant performance losses. Figure 1 shows the latency increase detected from a Matrix monitoring location in Denver, CO., to a destination in Northern California. The monitoring location is on the WorldCom network and is routed through Level 3 in San Francisco to reach the destination.

This is from Matrix NetSystems.

Any speculation?

sumac
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,385 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 02:28 pm
Wow, you subscribe to Matrix?

The reason for the latency could be almost anything. They could have had an equipment malfunction, a BGP (routing protocol) burp, could have been a "hacking" incident.. Almost anything...

I did a quick search on the net and didn't find anything on it...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 03:31 pm
I just wonder why you got it (unless you are subscribed to something).

Could be related to the recent hack attack (then again it could be anything, it just means there is data tranfer problems at certain hops). The A and J DNS servers were attacked pretty hard (actually all 12 were but Verisign's took a big hit as did the DOD server).

This coincided with some other massive attacks but they haven't managed to do much harm. What you posted isn't related to the DNS attack but there were others that I am aware of.

Packets are being lost today on some of my tests as well. I'd say it's just your run-of-the-mill tech problems. I'd not worry about it.

The recent onslaught of hacking was very coordinated but didn't do any damage to the end user.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:31 pm
Latency Interruption.......
Hi Craven and Fishin',
Yes, I subscribe to it...and other geeky type stuff. Trying to broaden my education, don't you know...But I didn't know how to interpret this. I was
aware of the previous hacking attempt that also hit the DOD and Verizon. Other than general interest in the entire area, I would think that if someone really wanted to disrupt world economies, this would certainly be one very important avenue of approach. It certainly bears keeping an eye on.

I am so grateful to you, Craven. Knew you were working on this, but didn't realize it was so far along. It is WONDERFUL.

I have just volunteered to Janet to assume 4 of her areas that need some coverage - primarily in the business sectors. If either of you have one more than needs coverage, I'm game, and available. Very Happy

sumac
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 07:16 pm
I used to get their daily "newsletter" with the latest info when I was running network operations for an IP backbone carrier. Most people don't know who they are at all.

Just keep in mind that Matrix's biz is to sell their reporting services to ISPs and businesses so they tend to "hype" any problems that exist hoping to scare up more busines.

I'm not saying that problems don't exist out there but Matrix doesn't usually come back and tell you what the real problem was unless telling you has the possibility of scaring you into buying their services.
0 Replies