Paid collection company, "paid in full" as they say.....

tfunk

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 04:08 pm
So what's this 1099-C? Isn't it true that "paid in full" means there cannot be a 1099-C? Could ANYONE with knowledge on this please get back to me.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,186 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 04:13 pm
Quote:
Often people fall on hard times and stop paying on credit cards. After a while the account may go to an outside debt collector who might offer a settlement of the debt for 30-40% of theoriginal sum. Once this is paid, the debtor often thinks the matter is closed, but it is not! It is very likely that the creditor will issue a 1099-C. This is a notice to IRS of the forgiven debt. If the debtor does not address this on his return he may get an IRS bill a year or two later with penalties and interest.

More here
0 Replies

tfunk

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 04:19 pm
OK, I'm attempting to dispute this with my credit card company because I didn't expect a 1099-C.

Are you saying I have no case?
0 Replies

tfunk

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 04:42 pm
I know a little more now. Sounds like they have to, by law, issue the 1099-C if the paid amount is less than the full amount.

So I guess the real problem is that the 1099-C was exaggerated by a few thousand dollars. As the collector is trying to place me liable for the commission the collection agency charged them.

Anyone know if this is legal?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 05:10 pm
Do you have a settlement agreement with your collector or the collection agency? Debt is defined as "any amount owed to you including stated principle, stated interest, fees, penalties, administrative costs, and fines" Source

I'm not a CPA (and you really should find one to talk to) but if the charges of the collection agency are being considered an administrative cost, then it would qualify as debt. What does your settlement agreement say?
0 Replies

tfunk

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 05:44 pm
I do not have a settlement agreement.

They reported to the MIS database (some financial database) the correct amount written off, but then add a few thousand to that on my 1099-C.

Seems conflicting?
0 Replies

tfunk

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 05:56 pm
So, here's my summary. In disputing with the credit card company, I don't have a whole lot of legal basis to win a chargeback, and in the end I might just be wasting my time.

But I would not have done this (paid the collection agency) if I knew it would cost me another $3000 in taxable income on a 1099-C.

So, we'll leave it in the hands of the credit card agencies. If I win I'll just get a larger 1099-C for this year, and have extra money to pay the taxes. If I lose, then life goes on with me having quite a bit more income than expected Sad.
0 Replies