Change your lifestyle to reduce greenhouse gases?

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 09:26 am
soz :
i wonder if very lightly tinted (coated/antiglare) glasses would help reduce glare in general .
i find that as i get older Shocked , i've become much more sensitive to any bright light . i hardly ever used to wear sunglasses until just a few years ago , but now even wear them in the winter when i go outside - and sometimes forget to take them off when i go inside .
hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 11:45 am
hamburger wrote:
and buzz hargrove , president of the canadian automotive workers union , instead of pushing the north-american car makers to produce more energy efficient cars , states that we must continue to build big cars - and at the same time complains about the import of fuel efficient cars .
i think he has the priorities wrong - i'm certainly disappointed in his approval of building more big , fuel inefficient cars .
hbg

If he said what he did, I of course don't agree with that, BUT if you're going to start pointing fingers, it would seem more logical to start with the various management /decision-makers at all the car manufacturers, right? Why haven't the American (in particular) car makers been making more fuel-efficient cars years ago?

This is why Toyota is doing as well as they are now. They got "with the program" ahead of the other pack.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 12:54 pm
imo there is no need for buzz hargrove to "jump into bed" with the management of the BIG THREE on this issue .
i would applaud him if he were to point out publicly that times have changed and that - global warming or not ! - the BIG THREE need to get moving forward a little more quickly to produce cars that are BOTH fuel-efficient AND comfortable . overseas they - GM , FORD and CRYSLER - are apparently not doing badly at all building such cars .
hargrove could have offered to co-operate with the car makers in bringing about some improvements .
if he insists to continue the present course , the japanese and other foreign carmakers will continue to increase their sales in north-america - and that would not be good for the BIG THREE or the autoworkers union - nor north-american workers in general .
hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 03:05 pm
I whole-heartedly agree with you, but while you're at it, why not criticise the management of the American auto makers while you're at it? You seem to have singled out only one person. I don't think that's fair.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 03:13 pm
reyn :
don't get me wrong , PLEASE :wink: !
i think the main responsibility lies with the manufacturers - of course , governments and consumers are unfortunately helpmates !
i just happened to come across an article in the globe & mail (?) that quoted buzz hargrove and it rubbed me the wrong way .
he was also on CBC TV recently and talked about the importance of keeping the production lines for big SUV's and other gas guzzlers going - just rubbed me the wrong way .
cheers ! (feels good to rant and rave Laughing )
hbg
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 08:34 pm
Just going back to what sozobe was saying for a minute ...

The problem might be because fluorescent light is directionless. This results in less shadow being cast by objects that it hits, and it occurs to me that shadow may play an important role in lip-reading. A few years back I designed a greeting card store chain, paying particular attention to the needs of middle-aged to older women (the principal greeting card consumer). I've since tossed out the research, which included interviewing optometrists, but I found that it was very important to have at least some incandescent light in the store, for their ability to read clearly and, particularly for the elderly, for depth perception. The human eye needs some shadow, but for some it becomes critical.

(There! That should put to rest the idea that interior designers only pick pretty colours -- although the psychology of colour is a fascinating topic in itself ...)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 08:45 pm
That's fascinating, tico. I've piddled around with wood checkering (as you find on gunstocks) and flourescent is just terrible. In the early stages, you need incandescent for the shadows it casts, or you just won't see your scribe lines, and a single bulb is better than several. A different effect, I'm sure, but there is still a place for incandescents
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 02:33 pm
That's so interesting, Tico!

Sure, I can imagine that a lack of 3-D modeling (as supplied by shadows) would have something to do with it. Never would have thought of that!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 06:31:08