AVG FREE Anti Virus..a problem has occurred

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:18 am
I've been using the free version of AVG for well over a year now and have had no problems, that is, until recently.
The version I have is Version 7.1.394 and I have been so impressed with it that I have been recommending it to my friends. I figure why pay big bucks for something that I am being offered for nothing?

However, when one of my friends was doing a "live update" they got a message that they had to upgrade to 7.5.432, that was when the trouble started. We went through the routine to download the newer version and this message popped up:

C:\Documents and Settings\..........the users name...........\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\C5YBCDAN\avg75free_432a904[1].exe is not a valid Win32 application.

It was impossible to go any further. We are now stuck in 'no man's land' because we simply cannot install the AVG free anti virus version 7.5.432.
We did try to reinstall the 7.1.394, but that didn't work either because the message kept coming up that we had to upgrade to version 7.5.432.

This is the first time I have had any problems with the free AVG anti virus which makes me think that maybe there is somthing amiss with the computer. Now we are wondering if it is going to be necessary to go out and buy an anti virus, but I would much prefer to try and find out what this problem might be and hopefully get some advice on how to fix the problem.
Any advice is appreciated
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,913 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:54 am
Re: AVG FREE Anti Virus..a problem has occurred
Vonda1941 wrote:
C:\Documents and Settings\..........the users name...........\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\C5YBCDAN\avg75free_432a904[1].exe is not a valid Win32 application.

I suspect that your problem is right there in the part of the error that I bolded. Why is he/she trying to install it from their temp Internet files? There are multiple copies of this file in the Temp Files and when this one was saved Windows added the "[1]" to the file name to distinguish it from the 1st copy.

Go to the AVG WWW site and download the file again. This time when they get the pop-up tell them to save it to their desktop. After it is fully downloaded and saved to the desktop empty the temp Internet files and then double click on the .exe file on the desktop and run the install routine from there.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 08:55 am
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab>Browsing History ... delete files and cookies (don't bother with anything else, just delete files and cookies).

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs ... Uninstall AVG (may be listed as Grisoft).

Create a folder on your desktop, or anywhere else you'll be able to find easily, and name it something like "AVG Download"

Go to The AVGFree Download Page.

Scroll down to locate "AVG Free for Windows installation files". Right click the file (currently avg75free 432a904.exe) and save it to the folder you created. Might take a while - the file is 17.4MB. When it has downloaded, DO NOT RUN THE INSTALLATION YET, just close the folder. Reboot your machine, locate the folder, open it, locate the AVG icon (which should be labled "avg75free_432a904.exe"), and double-click to execute the install routine. Follow the prompts to effect the install all the way through the recommended reboot at the end (if necessary, re-register as a returning user and obtain a current AVG Free key).

Lemme know what happens.

Edit to add: Oh, hi, fishin' - yup, we're thinking alike, looks like; you just typed faster than I did Laughing
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 09:47 am
Thank you fishin and timberlandko for the effort you went to as you tried to help me with my problem.
Not being much of a "whiz kid" I decided to suggest to my friend that he go out and buy a proper anti virus because I really had no idea what I was doing half the time. At the computer store there were several anti virus packages to choose from. My friend accepted the salemans recommendation and bought the Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 which cost AUD$90. The "recommended retail price" was AUD $179. Beats me how they drop the price that much, but no one wanted to argue. The 'upside' to that purchase was that it expires after 2 years.

To try and get a different perspective on the assorted brands of anti viruses, I am going to go for the Norton Internet Security that will end up costing $49 after I have initially paid out $129 because I will get "$80 CASH BACK". The Norton will expire after only 12 months, not like the Trend Micro PC-cillan which is supposed to last 24 months.

It really confuses me why they play around with the prices like they do. What is wrong with them simply putting a price on something and saying "this is our price, take it or leave it." No, they decide to offer huge CASH BACK deals. Anyway, once again I want to thank you both for your advice.
Is it really necessary to go for the "Internet Secuity Suite" instead of just getting the basic "anti virus"? When I suggested my friend just buy the basic anti virus, the saleman was adament that the Internet Secuity package was necessary. Big sighs.
vonda.
PS: being on dial-up ISP a 17.4MB might have been a problem. I didn't want to hang around to find out. :-(
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 03:04 am
Any of the major name brand Antvirus programs by themselves, and their associated multi-threat suites - are fine. None are perfect; its good to have a backup, a "second Opinion" option - but bear in mind you generally don't want 2 different antivirus programs running real-time at once. While it can be done (but generally not without some fairly geeky fiddling and twiddling), there is little good reason to do so, plenty of good reason to not do so, and in any event, many antivirus programs won't install if they detect an already-installed antivirus from another vendor. Antispyware/Adware programs are another matter; generally it is fine to have more than one installed - in fact, that's recommended - though only one should be configured for active, real-time protection.

The thing about multi-threat suites is that their assorted components are, at least in theory, designed to play well together "right outta the box", something which can be very desirable for folks who really aren't fond of fiddling and twiddling. There is also the fact that a single renewall fee can be very convenient - a consideration as well.

Before deciding on any of them, in whatever configuration cand combination, do your homework, read plenty of reviews (and know that professional reviews - editors' reviews and the like - very most typically are far more objective, informative, and accurate than are user reviews - an overwhelming proportion of negative user reviews - for damned near anything, not just software - stem directly from not having read the manual. Beware also of phony review websites that hawk little-known software, usually with some sort of claim along the lines of "Proved by test to be the best! (See Colorful Chart) Hurry, Limited Time Special Offer EXPIRES AT MIDNIGHT; CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD NOW!!!"

And yeah, a slow dialup can be a problem ... but I'm pretty sure you mean "17.4Kbps" - not 17.4MB - that'd be hella fast; I'm only on 3MBps (which, while about as fast as DSL gets, often seems pokey to me - I'm spoiled Rolling Eyes ).
0 Replies