Windows Vista is Finally Out. Are you going to Buy It?

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 06:26 am
Well, the day is finally here. Windows Vista (aka Longhorn, or son of XP) is on sale to the general public.

So what do you think of Gates' new brainchild? Are you going to rush out and buy one? Download it from the internet? Does it matter to you at all?

As for me, I am perfectly happy with XP Pro. My computer is three years old, and I see no point in spending money on something that I may be replacing in the near future.

In fact, when I first got XP, I configured the look of the computer to the "classic" (Windows 98) design. I am not interested in all that 3-D stuff.

What about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,759 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 06:29 am
No. I aspire to phase out Windows on my private computers and go back to Linux-only machines.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 06:32 am
Oh phooey, Thomas. I left out Linux as another option. Oh well, you can't think of everything!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 06:34 am
It's too power hungry for my old desktop and XP works fine, but I will get it on my new computers. I'll be buying two new laptops and a new desktop by June and they will all have Vista.

My drummer and best friend works on campus at Microsoft so I have a strong tutor if problems or questions arise.

It has some very cool features.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:14 am
Yes, I'll try it - it was "inclusive" when I bought my computer (with XP) some time ago.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:16 am
I found a nice article from PC World which describes Vista, together with the pros and cons:

Link to Windows Vista Article
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:36 am
Have already ordered my upgrade !
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:40 am
the prince wrote:
Have already ordered my upgrade !

I hoped I would get it automatically, but found out today that this wasn't supposed to be so.

So I ordered it ... free of charge, though.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:42 am
Plan to stay with XP for at least as long as the life of my current computer...still grieving the loss of my last computer which had Windows95 which was much nicer in appearance than this XP thing. I don't even want to start thinking about the problems Vista will have, and it will.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:47 am
I'd like to go back to typewriters, snail mail, land locked phones and adding machines myself.

DVD's have got to stay though. And cable.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:47 am
Why go to the expense of something that is not yet proven? Why force yourself into driver problems, unknown compatibilities, etc. etc. on a brand new product. I will wait for at least a couple of years. Just as I did with Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and XP.

Also, I don't like the fact that Vista assumes that the user is an idiot to begin with.

XP Service Pack 2 works just fine.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:17 am
Like many others, I'm happy with what I have. Much of what is new and improved on Vista would be of little value to me. I can wait another year or so when it will be time to buy a new PC (when the clock battery runs down).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:11 am
Like Intrepid, I don't plan on being part of Microsoft's beta testing program.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:46 am
The preview reviews I've been reading/hearing make me think I'll wait a bit.

I suspect my next system won't have any relationship to Windows.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 12:42 pm
i've had windows XP for about a year now and it works fine - actually doesn't do much more than windows 2000 , which i had before .
i've scanned a number of reports on the new VISTA and i don't see any reason to upgrade for my low-level home use at this time - perhaps in another year ?
seems to require 2 gig memory - my computer has 2x500 , that doesn't seem to be enough from what i read .
wait and see !
hbg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:16 am
Quote:
More than five years after the release of Windows XP, Windows Vista has arrived. The party line out of Redmond is that "Windows Vista is Microsoft's most secure platform to date," and you won't find anyone at Microsoft saying otherwise. But saying it's Microsoft's most secure operating system isn't saying that Windows Vista is the most secure operating system on the market today. No one can say that, I suspect, but Microsoft is really sensitive about security, saying that security is one of the main pillars that support a user's decision to upgrade to Windows Vista. Unfortunately for most home users, the actual security features in Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium will amount to little more than a pillar of salt. That's not to say home users won't get enhanced security with Windows Vista; they will. It's just that most of the security enhancements touted in Windows Vista don't appear in the Home Premium and Basic editions, and what's there, what's not already available within windows XP, could have fit into a free Windows XP service pack instead of requiring a $200 upgrade.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6689143-1.html?tag=nl.e497

I have the distinct impression that CNet (whom I usually trust in these sorts of matters), is definitely underwhelmed by Vista.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:27 am
I looked into the new features yesterday. A couple of things that interested me work wise, such as the ability to stack folders. But, like others I'll wait until I need a new machine. XP Pro works fine.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:58 am
What I want to know is....why the feck does it cost twice as much to buy in the UK, as it does in the USA?

RIP OFF!!

OUTRAGEOUS!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 08:04 am
Mind you, this new fangled graphics technology malarkey sounds pretty interesting, and may be worth the extra money if I can have the likes of Smorgs, Chai, Shewolf et al, wobbling their bits at me in a 3D fashion.

As long as Gus doesn't start waggling his implement, that is.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 09:01 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
What I want to know is....why the feck does it cost twice as much to buy in the UK, as it does in the USA?

Left hand traffic.

On the other hand, we Europeans aren't a lot better ...

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate FULL VERSION [DVD]
USA: $379.99
UK: £353.99 = 742.123
Germany: EUR 519,99 = $674.083
France: EUR 575,00 = $745.469

(All from amazon as of today)
0 Replies