His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

pyko

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 10:49 pm
Hello, I've been reading His Dark Materials (2nd time through), and all I can say is that its a wondeful series. I've been getting many more little details, but there are still some sections which I do not understand.

If you haven't read it yet, you might not want to continue, because I'm asking a few questions that may reveal the plot.

Ok...now for the many questions....
1. What was Lyra's task? I know its something big, and she had to make a decision somewhere, but I can't seem to see where she finished her task - was it after they "destroyed" the Authroity?

2. Why is Mary Malone the "serpant" or "tempter" ?

I'm sure I had more questions after finishing the last book, but I can't seem to think of them right now, probably will add them later Razz
Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,038 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 07:58 am
1. yes

2 - can't remember!

I really enjoyed reading them too.
0 Replies

Semitoma

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 11:33 am
Hey

yeah his dark materials does rule!

i started to ask questions too, but heres what i think the answers mite b to yours (and they're prb wrong)

1) yes

2) What Mary does is to tell a story about falling in love. When Lyra hears it, she suddenly understands something about herself and Will which she hadn't seen before. Mary makes the connection even closer by the next day by giving her some fruit, which Lyra offers to Will in the same gesture that Mary described in her story. This is the moment when the two children begin to leave their childhood behind and this to my mind is what the story of Adam and Eve is all about. mary tempts lyra and will to fall in love, and it means that the story becomes more complecated because of it. (with the windows)

"Being in love was like China: you knew it was there, and no doubt it was very interesting, and some people went there, but I never would. I'd spend all my life without ever going to China, but it wouldn't matter, because there was all the rest of the world to visit.
"And then someone passed me a bit of some sweet stuff and I suddenly realized that I had been to China. So to speak. And I'd forgotten it."
"Anyway," Mary went on. "I remembered the taste, and all at once I was back tasting it for the first time as a young girl.
" I was twelve years old. I was at a party at the house of one of my friends, a birthday party, and there was a disco...this boy-I didn't know him-he asked me to dance, and so we had the first dance and then the next, and by that time we were talking...And you know what it is when you like someone, you know it at once; well, I liked him such a lot. And we kept on talking and then there was a birthday cake. And he took a bit of marzipan and he just gently put it in my mouth-I remember trying to smile, and blushing, and feeling so foolish-and I fell in love with him just for that, for the gentle way he touched my lips with the marzipan."

hope that made some sort of sense!

§emi
0 Replies