caribou

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:22 pm
bm
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 09:30 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Quote:
The up-side of a self-directed is that as you become more knowledgable you can move your funds around and can easily average 12% or better annually.

for someone like me, who still doesnt even know the definations of diffrent types of investment accounts, would that still be worth looking into?

IMO, there is no reason not to go with a self directed account.

If you take the most conservative investment available, you will do as well as what the average bank is paying for an account you'd have no control over. Once you see what your options for investments are, you can investigate them and decide if you are interested in moving your money into them. You don't have to but you'd have that option.

If you start with the self-directed account then there is nothing to do but click the button and tell them to move the money. If you start with an account that isn't self-directed you'd need to open another account to make any other investments in the future.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:21 am
Quite honestly I would try a mutual fund company rather than a bank. I know that the mutual fund company I work for has offices all over the country where you can simply walk into and talk with an investment rep.

Banks typically do not give you the same sort of returns as a mutual fund company. Also I would highly suggest you do NOT put your money in a money market account as an IRA or Roth. These are long term investments for your retirement. Money markets make very little interest and are an excellent vehicle if you may need to get to your money quickly or within short notice.

Just for kicks I looked up a fund that is the type where you would put your money in and not have to move it around - ideal for the individual who knows little about the industry and doesn't want to. These funds are managed to invest in such a way that is ideal depending on your expected numbers of years to retirement. I choose one that would be geared for a person around 35. The average annual returns on this fund 1 year - 9.51%, three year - 10.84%, life of the fund - 11.84% - very close to the 12% fishin suggested. There are also no fees and if you have monthly withdrawals you don't have a minium initial investment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 09:58 am
I agree with Linkat. I would also recommend either Fidelity or Vanguard, because most of their funds outperform, and their fees are some of the lowest in the industry. Go to Morningstar.com, and look at some of their funds that have performed over the long-term ´- and have done better than the S&P index. Always diversify. heavier on equities while young, and slowly converting over to treasuries-bonds where risk is no longer an option.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 10:14 am
my investments
Cash Balance and Money Market Funds 5.84%
Stocks 2.01% Stocks
Mutual Funds 44.83%
Fixed Income 10.03%
Options $0.00 0.00% --
(reverse convertable notes) 6.15%
Insurance Products 0.00% --
Other (annuity) 0 risk. 31.15%
while I am not fond of indexed funds, the ones I have provide me with excellent return over the past 3 years
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 08:51 am
Hi dys, BTW, I meant index funds or those that closely matched them. They´re usually pretty safe, but there´s no guarantee in most investments except FDIC insured funds where the loss of principal is zero up to $100K.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 03:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Hi dys, BTW, I meant index funds or those that closely matched them. They´re usually pretty safe, but there´s no guarantee in most investments except FDIC insured funds where the loss of principal is zero up to $100K.
Until you compare these holdings to other world currency's and realize you're actually losing dough.
0 Replies