"This Address Cannot Be Blocked"

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:28 am
Up until now, I have never gotten spam on my Outlook Express account. A few weeks ago, I started getting one of those penis enlargement ads on it. Only one, and it reappears every couple of days. When I tried to block it, I got a message, "This address can't be blocked".

What's up with that? Why can't a particular address be blocked? I have Win98SE, and IE5.5.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 915 • Replies: 8
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:35 am
I get so many pop-ups, I don't have time to read any of them.
As far as penis enlargement is concerned, do they think we're all penis crazy?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:39 am
New Haven- There is software that you can download that will stop the pop-ups, as well as the ads. Why in the world would you want to read them anyway?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:44 am
DELETE!!!!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:31 am
It can't be blocked because the email header is forged and it's not the real address anyway.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:02 pm
CdeK wrote:
It can't be blocked because the email header is forged and it's not the real address anyway.
Does this mean that no remedy exists against spammers?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:09 pm
Well, there are many things you can do. But none are easy and none will stop the spam.

You can look at the real email header and determine what IP it came from (but remember, they also hack servers and send out spam through exploits, which means much spam is coming from sources that don't know it. A hacker tried to use A2K's server to send out thousands upon thousands of spam messages to AOl users).

You can then take the IP and try to get the spammer kicked off his ISP (don't bet on it, ISPs talk tough but don't do much to help the end user).

Some retaliate by hacking the originating IP. This is stupid because it is both illegal and oten targets the wrong person.

Some people mail bomb. Again it's stupid because the worst spammers don't use real addresses and a mailbomb is worse than spam.

Webmasters like to trap email harvesting bots and feed them thousands of invalid addresses.

Heck there are lots of ways to fight it.

But if you are asking what you can do to NOT receive spam then my answer is this:

Use preventative measures.

Once you are getting spam get used to it or filter it. It will not stop.

I never get a single piece of spam on addresses that I want spam free.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:11 pm
Thanks for advise.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:52 pm
I read recently that some man who does all this spamming as a business says all he needs is a .001% return to make his money.

The only address I have that is practically spam-free is my yahoo one. On MSN I grit my teeth and delete.

And new haven, they want to enlarge many parts of my anatomy. Since I don't go into any of them, I don't know what they suggest.
0 Replies