Can't use my router! help!

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 12:41 pm
Hi, I had my router hooked up to my modem box and the connection on my computer and picking up a wireless signal on my laptop was working fine. But then I had reason to believe someone was picking up my signal when they shouldn't be... However, I forgot my password to login into my administration account for my router, so I reseted it by holding that button on the back, and then hooked everything up the way I had it before... but now I can't get the internet on my computer, but if I unplug my router and just hook up my modem to the computer the internet works... any suggestions on how to get my router to work again? thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 789 • Replies: 5
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 03:29 pm
Have you tried the suggestions in THIS POST? Seems as though your laptop still expects to have things the way they were. You've gotta clear the wireless profile its working with; that's done via the laptop's own wireless configuration utility - consult your laptop's documentation for particulars.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 03:35 pm
are you using carbide bits?
0 Replies

IronMan2007

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 03:50 pm
I need to erase the profile on my desktop computer. How do I do that?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:02 pm
I suggest you run the Network Setup Wizard on your desktop to re-establish a network connection. Be sure to follow the prompts to set up a broadband connection - select "This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network", and be sure you name your computer, network, and connection something you'll remember. When prompted to create a network setup disk, do so, either on a floppy or on other removeable media as appropriate.

Once you've configured your connection on your desktop - before running the copied setup routine on other machines, open a browser, then in the address box, type in your router's address (usually 192.168.1.1 - unless you've changed it; consult your router's documentation), hit [ENTER] and see what happens; if everything up to that point went according to plan, that should bring up your router's configuration page, and you can continue from there as appropriate to your particular circumstances. If that all works, then run the saved network setup file on your other machine(s).
0 Replies

IronMan2007

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:24 am
I appreciate everyone's help, and I did manage to get my router working properly. I reset the router by holding the pin hole button for about 10-15 secs, and then I turned off my modem and hooked everything up the way it was suppose to be, and configured the settings for my router going to that http://196.157.2.3 thing... so everything is working for now, haha, man I hate the internet, it's a tricky thing
0 Replies