Secrets of Mary Magdalene

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 05:51 am
I just started reading this book a couple of days ago so I am not very far into it. About page 100 or so?

But having read the bible cover to cover three times, I have to admit that I have learned more about bible history and more about the story of the bible by THIS book then by actually reading the bible.
Sad huh?

One of the authors main points is how Dan Brown was the main source of information to the public about the 'change' the Vatican made in the bible about Mary Magdalene.

A writer made more people aware then the church..
For some reason I dont find that hard to believe, but it does stun me.

THe church re-writes the bible yet again, and no one cares or notices?
(sigh) That is another thread all together tough..

Some things I did not know -

Jesus mother was proclaimed a virgin after the 4th century and not before birth. In fact, before birth, she had ' a normal marriage' and was not seen as a virgin.

Mary was not a prostitute..

The bible was only started about 40 years after jesus' death. And not before. And what was written was an attempt to stop rumors of him because people were taking it out of context. Some gospel was not written until 60 years after..

why I find this stuff fascinating is simply for personal validation.. so I wont get into that too much but, I am completely amazed at how little this stuff is known to the public.. Or is it just me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,050 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:02 am
Yeah, it's pretty wild, huh?

That and other stuff like celibacy and so forth.

If it hadn't been for Paul, belief systems would be totally different today. Are people christians or really Paulettes?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:17 am
True.

And the writer thinks that it stems from pure jealousy from Paul to Mary because Mary was 'just a woman" Confused
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:43 am
Did you ever play "telephone" at parties when you were a kid? For those not in the know, a person relates a message to the next person on line, who relates it to the next person on line, etc., etc.

The person at the end tells the group the message that he has heard. In all but the most unusual cases, the message related by the person at the end of the line is quite different from the message that was originally started by the person first in line.

And so it goes with the bible. It was an ancient book, worked, interpreted and reworked over the generations, with each "editor" moving things about in the light of his own personal thoughts and ideas, as well as the political climate of the particular time in which he wrote. To add to the complications, unlike "telephone" which is usually played in one language, the bible has been translated into many languages, each tongue having its own particular and peculiar nuances.

It is no wonder that the bible has many editions, with innumerable contradictions and differences of thought.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 09:46 am
I have played that game. And that is the same analogy I use when explaining why the bible is not accurate.

And for those who dont believe me even after that, I refer to the Vatican's additions of Mother Mary's life in the early 90's
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 10:11 am
nodding...

yeah, there's SO many stories we grew up with that we just tend NOT to wonder where they came from.

I'll bet if you asked a lot of people where the easter eggs and christmas trees are in the bible, they'd be sure they are in there somewheres.

BTW, the telephone game?

I remember in high school doing that with that Shakesperean "the quality of mercy is not strained...."

Within just a few people it had become "the girl at the airport is not strange...." Very Happy

ah me....
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 10:31 am
We call the telephone game 'chinese whispers'(no idea if thats racist or not)

The Bible/religion is just a way of controlling us.To suppress women, put fera into people etc.
Obviously, things like 'thou shalt not kill' is a good rule to have in life but I think life is better if we work things out for ourselves.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 11:09 am
True that material girl.

I learneed at one point that in many places wealth and property were inherited via the womans bloodline, not the man. I mean, you always know who the mother is, but the father?

mmm hmmm...all these religious men writing that women are merely open sewers, and aren't worthy and so on. I'm sure it took quite some time of beating this into us (both literally and figuratively) for so many to buy into it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 11:11 am
I am heading into Sun Harvest at the moment to get food to feed my family. Gosh.. do they ever stop eating?

But I was just reading something that made me think Jesus was only a single person , not "holy" or divine.. AND A PAGAN.. Shocked

Im loving this book.

Have any of you read it?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 11:12 am
What's the name of the book again?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 11:19 am
http://elouai.com/images/yahoo/a19.gif

The Secrets of Mary Magdalene
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 11:28 am
One thing I found really interesting

page 49-50

Quote:
0 Replies

Kali 07

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 08:47 am
Mary Called Magdalene
I was surprised to find out Mary Magdalene was not a prostitute, but I found this out by reading "Mary, Called Magdalene" by Margaret George. It was a very interesting book with a different take on Jesus' time as a prophet. I have not read enough about Mary Magdalene yet to verify how historical accurate it could be but I have found most of Margaret George's books to be well researched.
0 Replies