Help! How to connect amp to...

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 08:21 pm
Hi there!

I'm just wondering if its possible to connect a guitar amp to a pc with out blowing something up! And what is the correct process of doing this?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 625 • Replies: 3
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 10:12 pm
Provided the amp has a line out jack (and most do), the PC's sound card has a line in jack (and again, most do) - if present, both jacks will be labled appropriately - and provided you have a suitably configured cable (probably standard 2-conductor ΒΌ" phone plug at the amp end, 2-conductor miniphone plug at the soundcard end) , you're set. Any decent mucician's supply store or electronics parts shop will have what you need for the cable. What's going on with your amp and your PC is up to your amp and your PC.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 10:35 pm
Thanks Timber for the quick reply!

I've got all the cables and appropriate gear. Sound card, amp, pre amp, cables, etc. I just didn't know if all the power running from the amp into the pc would be too much. I thought it might fry something or something by directly plugging into it. But what you're saying is that I can plug my guitars and mics and whatnot into my amp, then plug the amp into my sound card and it should be ok, theoretically?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 10:42 pm
As long as the amp has - and you use - a srtandard line out and you connect that to the sound card's standard line in - again if the jacks are there, most likely they'll be labled "line out" and "line in", respectively.
0 Replies