What is the Appeal of Fireworks?

Monger

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:19 pm
SealPoet wrote:
Seems that the big finale was awfully big, awfully early, and awfully low to the water...
The barge caught fire and everything went off all at once!
Ker-effing-Pow!

Cool.. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 12:22 pm
They go Flash/Boom. atavistic but I love'em
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 01:01 pm
Monger I totally get what you say about fireworks in Japan. I have never liked a fireworks display outside of Japan.

But the injury thing is a real and present danger stateside.

Here are some ways fireworks cause trouble:

A) Blowing up in your hand (many people lose fingers)
B) Kids using them to blow things us (I admit to using M80s to blow up Happy Meal toys).
C) Kids have placed them in cats and other animals to injure them.
D) Some bottle rockets can set roofs on fire when poorly launched (note that some American houses have very flammable roofs).

That being said I think bikes are dangerous too. and making fireworks illegal means that the people dealing with them have even lower standards.

Illegal fireworks stands often cause injury when they catch fire.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 01:07 pm
My goodness. Once again I find myself glorying in being a member of a minority. Diversity happens! Diversity flourishes!

Thank you all for your opinions.

Ehbeth--

I meant no slur to Canadians. I'm currently occupying a high dungeon with the red-blooded American citizens and lawmakers who want to amend the constitution to forbid flag burning.

Codeborg--

Almost any mythology you care to mention points out that Gods are super-studs, procreating hundreds of little demi-gods. Even detached organs are remarkably fertile.

Further, most gods evolved before professional p.r. experts.

No disparagement was meant, either of gods or men--although I can be remarkably sexist when I set my mind to the task.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 01:16 pm
Noddy,

May I please note that "high dungeon" is a pet peeve of mine. It deprives "dudgeon" of it's only modern use.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:11 pm
Craven... you ever spent time hooked on marijuana? I spent ten years in high dungeon, and I'll never get those ten years back...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:23 pm
Craven--

"Dungeon" is a rage. "High dungeon" is a murderous rage. Unfortunately if "low dungeon" ever had a meaning, that meaning has vanished.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:01 pm
Seal, I didn't inhale.

Noddy, I thought it was high dudgeon. Me peeve's the n/d.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 07:09 am
On a further note, fireworks relate to us on the cellular level. Much like our DNA dividing and relining up, this is a connective memory to the cells actually dividing. What we see in the explosion of a firework, the dividing of lines of light to recreate it self moments later, reminds us,unconsciously of the divine dividing of DNA which = Life.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 07:17 am
no - Craven is righ is should be high dudgeon
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 07:49 am
For the fireworks-likers and non-likers alike:

http://www.tmcs-co.com/fireworks.htm
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:27 am
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
On a further note, fireworks relate to us on the cellular level. Much like our DNA dividing and relining up, this is a connective memory to the cells actually dividing. What we see in the explosion of a firework, the dividing of lines of light to recreate it self moments later, reminds us,unconsciously of the divine dividing of DNA which = Life.

I think Seal can recommend a program for you, bro.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:23 am
the fireworks last night were fabulous. i watched from home. neighbours on their porches up and down the block - ooooooooohing and aaaaaaaaaaaahing and ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:12 am
Vivien--

Thanks for the correction. At my age I should know I can't spell and should use the dictionary when in doubt.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:23 am
I love fireworks -- and Nancy and I have a schedule worked out to be sure we see the best fireworks in New Jersey during the summer.
(The Cranbury 7/5 fireworks are great; but the 7/16 fireworks in Berkley Heights are the greatest.)

Louder the better -- and I like to be right underneath them to get the full impact of the booms.

The fireworks scene from "To Catch a Thief" was a masterpiece.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 06:29:41